VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 11:30:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux SOHO DELUXE 6.0 released !!!!  (Read 12417 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: September 21, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »

The VectorLinux development team is proud to announce the release of VectorLinux-6.0-SOHO-Deluxe.

The SOHO DELUXE release is based on the KDE-4.5.0 plasma desktop and latest xfce4 as a secondary desktop. Updates from the public release include KDE-4.5.0, Digikam-1.4.0, the gimp-2.6.10, k3b-2.0, scribus, OpenOffice, amarok 2.3.1, kmymoney, gnucash and additional games and system updates. Kernel version is 2.6.31.11 which adds new wireless network possibilities. There have been speed and stability improvements. The GUI installer has seen futher refinements and is the default installer. Support has been added for a wider range of graphic chipsets and both lilo and grub2 bootloaders. The latest versions of Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey browsers are also included. X.org updated to version 7.4 to expand the useable hardware base for SOHO.

SOHO includes out of the box multimedia support so that all of the popular formats play without the need for searching for third party downloads.There is a new set of custom graphics from the bootsplash to the wallpaper provided by our own artist extraordinaire Masta.

The Deluxe version is available as a high speed download or as a packaged two CD set that is shipped to your mailbox. This is your chance to support VectorLinux in a financial fashion that shows your appreciation for the endless hours of hard work the developement team  has put in to bring you another great release. You can order the packaged set or download versions from the Vectorlinux website. We hope you enjoy our labor of love and thank you for your support.

http://vectorlinux.com/cd-store

Cheers!! the VectorLinux team
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:46:39 am »

Thank you.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »

More case stickers  Grin
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:23:08 pm »

I'm stoked there's the next SOHO release is out! (forgive the delay, RL has keep me focus on using existing tools rather than looking for better replacements). I'd love to go this route, but sadly not at this time. I love the distros you guys put together. I've donated in the past and will surely do so again in the future. Smiley
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:11:50 pm »

This is the first time I am confronted with KDE and I must say I am impressed.
Now this is as well the first time since VL4.8 that my 2 printers configured
almost naturally all by themselves.  I had to employ no tricks, no nothing, the
printers were there and printed. Quite something different from the hassle I
had to go thru to get printing done with VL5/6/7.

Is it KDE which did the job?

Looks like a great distro I might use one day. Cheesy
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »

This is the first time I am confronted with KDE and I must say I am impressed.

May I ask what you find so impressive? This is not a hostile or argumentative question. I would really like to know what is impressing you.

I've been using Linux for many years and used KDE off and on since my first years with Linux, when KDE was much less developed than it is today (and so was Linux). But I've never liked it. I couldn't tell you why. It just hasn't grabbed me, though I agree that it does have nice features.

I'm using VL6 SOHO Deluxe and I love it, but I'm using XFce, not KDE. In fact, on one of my SOHO computers I've *never* started KDE and on the other I started it once--by accident. I use some KDE programs occasionally (most notably, K3B). But I greatly dislike KDE as a desktop environment. My favorite is XFce, with IceWM a close second.

As for your printers, I think CUPS has gotten better and better with support for more printers, even older ones. KDE does have a nice printer installation program, though it's been a long time since I've used it. I've managed with just the CUPS Web browser interface for the past several years.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »

Well I have just got to say thank you that you both love soho 6 deluxe in whatever fashion. I spent a year of my life on this and it was a tough grind and have been waiting for some feedback........so glad my efforts were worth while. I was never a big kde fan myself but I have to admire there developer team for reinventing the linux desktop against all odds and really pulling it off with the 4.5 series. Now that they have a good solid base and I see many speed improvements coming in upcoming QT editions I see nothing but a great user experience happening and I am glad that Vector in a small way will introduce that experience. Just a side note we are getting record sales on our deluxe edition with really no reviews or advertising so we must have done something right...................Smiley

Cheers,
Vec
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:16 pm »

Like Granny I was never sold on KDE, though some of the apps are good, like KB3, I also found the typing tutor program to be quite decent when I worked for a recycling charity, not as cute and as annoying as Mavis Beacon, but a decent straight forward tutorial for touch typing.  Very much a fan of IceWM - and love what Vector Linux has done with it.  KDE has come on leaps and bounds though and in terms of bling and general eyecandy leaves the competitors in all OSs standing in its dust.  Looking forward to my Deluxe CDs dropping through my door any day soon. 

I have always thought that the reviews gave the impression that the reviewers know that its a good distro, one of those great secrets that the public have yet to find.  Its good if they are starting to find out now, and I'd be curious to know just how many out there use it.

Once again thanks to all the development team.... and here is hoping for a few reviews to help bring this excellent distro to a wider public.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »

As more as I explore this KDE version as more am I impressed. Some features are just
great. I will install it first on my good woman's note book before I make a move  to
VL6SOHO KDE for myself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: