VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 02:56:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: slackware 13.1/12.2 repositories on gslapt?  (Read 1497 times)
masmddr

« on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:13 am »

Hello.
I was wondering, how bad of an idea would it be to add slackware 12.2 repositories to gslapt and telling it to update everything?
and if it's not such a horrible idea that will mess everything up, how about slack 13.1 that works on .TXZ?
I know that vectors package manager won't work with TXZ but how about if I update it to slacks version?

EDIT:
forgot to mention I am using VL 6.0 standard.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:05:12 am by masmddr » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:05:23 am »

Hello.
I was wondering, how bad of an idea would it be to add slackware 12.2 repositories to gslapt and telling it to update everything?
and if it's not such a horrible idea that will mess everything up, how about slack 13.1 that works on .TXZ?
I know that vectors package manager won't work with TXZ but how about if I update it to slacks version?

Smiley Unless you enjoy re-installing, I wouldn't. While Vector is largely Slackware compatible, changing versions is not a good idea. You will end up with a large number of broken packages. Fixing the problem would be a nightmare.

Paul.
masmddr

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:05 am »

Thank you.
I asked this because I installed some ( many 'some') packages from slackbuilds.org and even dared to update pidgin from a slackware 12.2 repository using gslapt and so far so good. ( pidgins tray icons broke after the update but no biggie)
I get that usings slacks packages to update the system is a bad idea ( now I get it) but how about stuff like pidgin / firefox / chrome / stuff that will probably will work?
Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:52:58 pm »

You can try installing individual packages but I would download them and use installpkg to install the individual items without listing Slackware 13.1 and 12.2 as repositories. This way you can back out more easily if something bad happens.
masmddr

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:34 am »

Thank you, I will do just that.
seems that updating pidgin as I mentioned before also messed up aspell correction in it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: