VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:27:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigahertz!? Isn't that overkill?  (Read 978 times)
Tir_Eoghan

« on: September 20, 2010, 02:11:12 am »

Greetings all,

I have a confession to make; well several confessions but we won't get into that. I let my dual core amd die, and I haven't missed it.

My primary computer now, is a 400mhz celeron 192mb's of ram. This super computer sports Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn) operating system currently, and it cooks! Well, cooks in comparison to windows XP (just made the switch last night). You heard me right; This is my PRIMARY computer (I should be locked up).

My secondary computer is a little toshiba laptop with 233mhz processor and about 64mb's ram (not certain about the ram). Currently sporting windows 95, although I hope to change that soon.

Even though I thoroughly enjoy the Ubuntu OS, I'm considering dumping it in favor of (possibly) vector linux light. My issue with Ubuntu, probably has more to do with my own personal issues. They term that operating system (feisty fawn) as a dead OS, and god forbid probably think of my computers as obsolete (perish the thought). I like these fine matured computers, faster computers just don't leave enough time for coffee, and smoking, and sitting back pondering meaningless drivel.

I'm hoping that this community is different, please tell me at least some of you appreciate "time tested" hardware.

Well that serves as my overly long introduction.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:52:35 am »

Yes. Definitely overkill.

I usually post in an attempt to be helpful, but this time I'm too weak not to be selfish. Here's what I want you to do:

Leave feisty on the celery for right now. It you're right about the toshiba's ram, add more. (Don't know whether it's "required", but you'll want it.) Put VL Light on the toshiba. Compare to feisty at nearly twice the clock and please post the results. Naturally, you'll be excused if you want to put a VL on the monster comp later on.

Do bear in mind that Light's faster speed and smaller size come at a small price. It'll be a little harder to set up than Ubuntu, but not all that difficult. You can handle it, or there's always help here. Unlike feisty, VL light 6 regularly has new packages built and updated and will until Light 7 has been out for a long while. I'm not one of those in-the-know, but I suspect Light 7 won't require much more system, and may possibly require less.

I'm hoping that this community is different, please tell me at least some of you appreciate "time tested" hardware.

There're many connoisseurs of finely aged hardware around here. There's at least one group having a blast by tailoring tried systems to youngsters who can make good use of them.

Always nice to see one more who has a sensible attitude toward what should and can work. Welcome.

Please excuse the following indication of extreme waste, it's all I have.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Tir_Eoghan

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:10:10 am »

Thanks for the post, and advice. I'm going to take it, along with the advice you gave me in IRC. Who says you have to stick with one operating system forever. There are so many options out there.

I have a coworker who's discussing getting into video editing; of course he naturally has to get the newest i7 dual core, Macbook Pro laptop which will run him over $2500 (thats not including software, toss in another 1k-2k for that even with student discounts). I brought up the fact that a friend of mine, has edited HD video on a Mac Mini (and not the new one), looked quite brilliant too. My coworker seemed shocked I'd even bring up the fact that something not currently top of the line was capable of being considered for that purpose.
He offhandedly mentioned that the new Mac Mini might work as a good home theater system.
His proposed HTC could work splendidly as my editing rig, in fact it has better spec's then my aforementioned editing rig I let die.

Unless he miraculously shows up with a RED Camera tomorrow I'm going to say he's buying way more then he actually needs.

Either this proves the success of advertising and marketing, and people are using systems well beyond the necessary specs for their purpose. Or I am truly missing something. I suspect the former.

Anyway, rant aside, this is going to be a fun little project.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: