VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:54:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia Legacy driver in VL&????  (Read 1996 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:34 pm »

OK,..This is a really quick and dumb question (like all of my previous questions have been)   Grin
Anyhow,....I'm still loving VL6 Standard on several of my older computers.  So......will VL7 have the same Nvdia drivers (for the older legacy drivers for like gforce4) on the install?  I've been trying to use Slackware 13 whilst waiting for the release of Vector 7 Standard (I'm on slow dialup,...so have to wait until I can get the CDs (or DVDs) via "snail-mail").  I've been a miserable failure with Slackware 13 to get my old Nvidia gforce4 working,....(so far)......so that's why I ask.  I do so prefer Vector Linux........I was wondering if the Nvidia Legacy drivers will still be available on the install disk, of VL7 ...like they are in VL6 Standard.  I know that Vector Linux KDE Classic,....and the Vector SOHO Edition don't seem to have the Nvidia legacy drivers support.  Will VL7?  BTW....I'm still using good ol' VL 6 Standard on my older PIIIs (and still lovin' it!).
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:47 am »

Hmm no replies yet -

This link will allow you to download the driver touted a "most likely to work"

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-96.43.19-driver.html

Hopefully, size of file should be OK  on dialup

To install, store anywhere readily  accessible, become root & run  bash
 (name of driver, using  wildcard to lessen typing full name) 

I.E. e. #bash  n*.sh  - it installs automagically, then run the explained nvidia-config  command
to produce an xorg.conf file
(If display needs - adjusting, please  see included documentation,  alter to suit

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »

...thanks for that info...
but I already have that driver downloaded.  I tried to install it on Slackware,..(no luck so far).  Was just wondering if VL7 that's coming out...will have the Nvidia Legacy driver on install,...just like VL6 does.  (OK,..I've been spoiled by VL6).   BTW...I seem to have no problem at all installing Nvidia drivers on plain Debian,...but plain Slackware seems to throw me.
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:37:43 pm »

Sorry to hear that - a desktop is not much use when vid mis-behaves (LOL - DAMHIKT)
However, should you want to try again - perhaps some clue will be found in/var/log directory ?
It (or)  your home section should contain Xorg.O.log file. as well as  . xorg.errors

If driver is loaded,  lsmod will inform (# lsmod | grep nvidia)_
(if not, find location  of  the driver -try (insmod -f)  or @ least modprobe "name_of_driver")

They may contain sufficient data to pin down cause of failures
Am presuming you are now using generic "vesa" or "nv" for driver section of xorg.conf ?

They are more than adequate , until 3d acceleration is desired
OTOH- if you prefer to wait for VL7 - a developer is certain to show up & answer
your original query ( if nothing else,  this dialogue "bumps" the queue)

Best of luck

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:10:34 pm »

...thanks for that info...
but I already have that driver downloaded.  I tried to install it on Slackware,..(no luck so far).  Was just wondering if VL7 that's coming out...will have the Nvidia Legacy driver on install,...just like VL6 does.  (OK,..I've been spoiled by VL6).   BTW...I seem to have no problem at all installing Nvidia drivers on plain Debian,...but plain Slackware seems to throw me.

Nitehawk you can sleep well w/o worries about nvidia in VL7.

I just installed it. Grin
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »

Hehehehe!!!!
I just now saw your post, Pita.   Thanks for the Nvidia in VL7  (gives me all the more reason to look forward to it)!
OK,...I'll sleep well, now.   Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: