VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 06:01:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot install VL from a USB drive  (Read 629 times)
dgraczyk

« on: September 22, 2010, 11:23:39 am »

I created a bootable USB drive from VL5.9.1-SOHO.iso using unetbootin-linux-471.  The system boots up fine, but the install step fails when it only searches the hard disk and dvd drive (which is broken) for the installation files.

I have tried VL6.0 (STD & Light) but couldn't resolve some video problems.  I installed those via the dvd drive which was working then.

Edit on 10/26/2010:
Maybe this question is too lame to even deserve a response.  Anyway, I thought I would share what I have found.  Initially, my machine was running VL6.0 Lite and I was trying to upgrade to VL6.0 SOHO.  Since I had a working machine, I was able to  complete the installation from the USB drive by first copying the VL6.0 SOHO ".iso" files to a partition on the hard drive.  However, I could not get either LILO or GRUB to work.  Now I didn't have a functioning system.  So, I created a VL5.9 SOHO installation USB drive.  When the installation failed because the installation files couldn't be found, I was given the option of a shell prompt (not available with the VL6.0 SOHO installation!).  From there I could mount the USB drive and the hard drive and copy the installation files (not the ".iso" files) from the USB drive to the hard drive.  I could have partitioned the hard drive if needed.  The installation went fairly smooth from there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:44:10 pm by dgraczyk » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: