VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 05:29:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to read user's profile when using an x-display manager?  (Read 942 times)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« on: September 30, 2010, 10:17:01 pm »

I'm looking for a place to store common settings that a user will want for any ?dm-initiated session, no matter which window manager is selected. Also useful would be a place to store settings a user will want for any session -- whether text, dm, or startx.

Are there existing scripts in VL, especially light, that source /etc/xprofile and/or ~/.xprofile, for starters?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:22:11 pm by sixforty » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:58:02 am »

Look at /etc/profile.

Bigpaws
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:18:17 am »

Thank you, bigpaws, but I'm looking for a standard way of doing this on a per-user basis. /etc/profile checks mail, unless overridden by a shell-dependent startup file, as an example. So how might it be done on a non-shell-dependent basis for each user; let a user choose their own LANG rather than the system-set language, for example?

Robert
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:46 am »

~/.profile
~/.bachrc

All of my scripts and such are in ~/.profile 

This may help as well:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-customizing-unix-linux-user-account/#comments

HTH

Bigpaws
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:33:27 pm »

Before switching to VL, I always used .profile and $ENV. Thing is, .profile wasn't being sourced when I first installed VL. I recently ruined that installation ( user data stayed intact Smiley ) and reinstalled light. .profile still wasn't being sourced when session started from kdm. Since I wanted to see what gdm and xdm would do, I ran vxdmset. Gdm sourced .profile and .xprofile, and xdm sourced .profile twice, then .xprofile. Since I'm used to looking at kdm, I switched it back with vxdmset. Kdm started sourcing both .profile and .xprofile.

Apparently, I didn't run across vxdmset during two installs. Running it causes kdm to source the files correctly, and that solves my problem.

Thanks Bigpaws. Just took me a while to see it because it wasn't working as documented. Now to move the stuff that various scripts put in .bashrc that should be in .profile.

Robert
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: