VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 02:50:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: scsi kernel not found on VL 6.0 SOHO  (Read 1129 times)
UbAh

« on: October 01, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »

My vector install was 3+ years out of date so I decided to wipe and install 6.0 fresh

I am running all scsi and installing off the 6.0 SOHO ISO so when the default install failed I checked the documentation and found the following instructions:

Otherwise, type the kernel you want, e.g:

boot: scsi [enter]

I figure sweet thats me, but when I try this from the boot prompt I get a message stating:

boot: scsi
Could not find kernel image: scsi

so I come to this site and search for an hour or so but I have not seen a solution.  I figure I am overlooking something simple but any help would be appreciated.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:50:32 am »

That documentation is outdated. Just press Enter and use the default kernel. It has scsi support built-in.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:52:02 am »

That documentation is outdated. Just press Enter and use the default kernel. It has scsi support built-in.

ubAh tried the default install and it failed.

ubAh, describe how and at what point it failed. Could it not find the install media? Could it not find your hard drive?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
UbAh

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:53:46 pm »

It goes through Laoding kernal/sata...
Loasing init.gz...
isolinux:disk error AA, AX = 4273, drive 9F

boot failed: press a key to retry...

Thats all the info it gives me.  I disabled all my other drives and am running on the single scsi to be sure nothing else is causing the issue.  Thanks for the response.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:42:45 pm »

Did you do an md5sum check on the ISO you downloaded?

I don't know anything about the error message you got. A bad burn is always a suspect. If the md5sum is good, I'd try burning the CD again at the slowest speed you can.

I hope somebody who knows more than I do will jump in.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »

isolinux:disk error AA, AX = 4273, drive 9F

I'm guessing here, but it looks like you're trying to boot from the install CD, at it's not being read correctly. If you haven't done it, do the md5sum check on your original ISO file and reburn at a lower speed. There're a lot more failures for this reason lately, and all OSes that are used to burn seem to be affected. Next step if you still have problems would be to image the CD and check the md5sum on that.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
UbAh

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:27:53 am »

Sorry for leaving this open for so long.  It turns out I had either a bad burn or the iso became corrupted in transfer.  After grabbing the iso again and burning a new disk I was able to complete the install.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »

No prob, thanks for reporting back. Glad you got it working  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: