VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 11:39:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminal boot option lilo  (Read 671 times)
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« on: October 03, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »

My wife recently got a brand new Toshiba Satellite A660. It had so much proprietary (Toshiba) software bogging it down that I spent a day removing much of it so Windows 7 would work better. I offered to set it up as a dual boot system with Vec 6.0 on it. There have been a few problems, solved for the most part. But I would like to have the option to boot into a terminal instead of a GUI for trouble shooting. I have killed my X display a few times manually editing the xorg.conf file. Tongue

I set up lilo from the GUI installer so I have the 'Windows' boot option. Similarily I get a VL and Windows boot option if I install lilo with liloconfig but with a Slackware bootscreen image.

I can get my 'text' boot option with vliloconfig but no 'Windows'.

What do I need to manually add to etc/lilo.conf to get a 'text' or terminal boot option?
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:01:32 pm »

In lilo.conf copy the entry used for the gui boot and put "2" in the append line (append = "2") and change the label line (something like label = terminal). That will cause VL to boot with an init 2 or non-GUI.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: