VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Terminal boot option lilo  (Read 815 times)

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
Terminal boot option lilo
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »

My wife recently got a brand new Toshiba Satellite A660. It had so much proprietary (Toshiba) software bogging it down that I spent a day removing much of it so Windows 7 would work better. I offered to set it up as a dual boot system with Vec 6.0 on it. There have been a few problems, solved for the most part. But I would like to have the option to boot into a terminal instead of a GUI for trouble shooting. I have killed my X display a few times manually editing the xorg.conf file. :P

I set up lilo from the GUI installer so I have the 'Windows' boot option. Similarily I get a VL and Windows boot option if I install lilo with liloconfig but with a Slackware bootscreen image.

I can get my 'text' boot option with vliloconfig but no 'Windows'.

What do I need to manually add to etc/lilo.conf to get a 'text' or terminal boot option?

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Terminal boot option lilo
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:01:32 pm »

In lilo.conf copy the entry used for the gui boot and put "2" in the append line (append = "2") and change the label line (something like label = terminal). That will cause VL to boot with an init 2 or non-GUI.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143