VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:30:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20101004 gslapt-0.5.3d [VL6.0]  (Read 776 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: October 04, 2010, 06:32:24 am »

toothandnail has built a new Gslapt package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
gslapt: gslapt (a graphical interface to the slapt-get package manager)
gslapt:
gslapt: Gslapt is a graphical user interface for the slapt-get package
gslapt: manager
gslapt:
gslapt:
gslapt:
gslapt: License: GPL
gslapt: Authors: Jason Woodward (woodwardj at jaos dot org)
gslapt: Website: http://software.jaos.org/#gslapt

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

Murdock

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:06 am »

What was wrong with the current version ?
Is this because of a new kernel or Huh?

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:58:15 pm »

Very few packages show information in GSlapt's "Changelog" tab. Often, a workaround is to visit the Website listed under the Description tab to find out what's going on. I visited the URL listed for gslapt, and all it said was "updated to slapt-get-0.10.2g API". So it was slapt-get that had reason to change, the new gslapt needed only to match. From slapt-get's site (same page, previous paragraph):

0.10.2g Sept 27, 2010
 * api cleanup, typedef'd old structs
 * updated el translation from George Vlahavas
 * updated pt_TR translation from Sérgio Surkam
 * updated fr translation from Verachten Bruno
 * updated es translation, new es_AR translation from Fernando Velo
 * added slapt_download_data to public API
 * translation changes by Igor Murzov

So, mainly, "api cleanup" in slapt-get. Might work faster, but it's not listed as a bug. I'm going to grab it 'cause I like to test, but don't see a need to install this one otherwise --- at least until a few favorable replies are posted.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »

Installed fine. Used it to get Freetype 2.4.3 and have a look at metamail.

May be faster, or I may be imagining it. Any noticeable difference would be more noticeable on this machine and the poor connection I have tonight. So, may be very slightly better; at least no bugs have shown up so far.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:11:40 am »

What was wrong with the current version ?
Is this because of a new kernel or Huh?

Software development doesn't always related to errors. In this instance it is to bring Gslapt into line with the latest slapt-get, which has impoved handling of newer package types. Not all that important for VL6.0 Standard, since it is not ever likely to use the newer package types. More important for VL6.0 SOHO and VL7.0, both of which do.

In most instances, if you look in /usr/doc/<package-name>-<package-version> directory, you will find a ChangeLog which gives a listing of changes. That should give you some idea of what the upgrade is.

Paul.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:19:48 am »

Very few packages show information in GSlapt's "Changelog" tab. Often, a workaround is to visit the Website listed under the Description tab to find out what's going on.

Lack of information in the ChangeLog tab is mainly my fault - I never know the best format, and I'm usually in a hurry, given the amount of time repo maintenance takes. Even if there was, all it would say is something like 'updated - latest version'.

I visited the URL listed for gslapt, and all it said was "updated to slapt-get-0.10.2g API". So it was slapt-get that had reason to change, the new gslapt needed only to match. From slapt-get's site (same page, previous paragraph):

0.10.2g Sept 27, 2010
 * api cleanup, typedef'd old structs
 * updated el translation from George Vlahavas
 * updated pt_TR translation from Sérgio Surkam
 * updated fr translation from Verachten Bruno
 * updated es translation, new es_AR translation from Fernando Velo
 * added slapt_download_data to public API
 * translation changes by Igor Murzov

So, mainly, "api cleanup" in slapt-get. Might work faster, but it's not listed as a bug. I'm going to grab it 'cause I like to test, but don't see a need to install this one otherwise --- at least until a few favorable replies are posted.

Most packages will include a ChangeLog, which should be in /usr/doc/<package-name>-<package-version>.  That normally contains far more information than the ChangeLog entry that would be used by Gslapt.

Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: