VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 02:23:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Estimates on how many people use Vector?  (Read 15747 times)
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:09:13 am »

Totally new to VL, so some first impressions from a fellow that installed VL 6 as a defense against Slackware Tweek Fatigue.

At first glance, the distro variations are a bit confusing. I know SOHO means "office" capable, but the designations of "classic, standard, gold standard" plus all the deluxes causes a bit of hesitation. A purchaser wants the most bang for their buck, so VL is confusing a potential donor from the get go. To me "gold-deluxe" would mean "everything included", eclipsing a SOHO (where I would not install multimedia, games, etc.). Would limiting the number of variations help steamline things??

VL installer and package management has worked well. I appreciate the efforts made to guide the newbie to set up the "user" permissions properly. Graphics are great. Wireless setup is big step up from Slackware. Market a distro named Vector Linux and put the office, splashy graphics, multimedia candy, etc. packages in a repository (or additional CD). If some Gnome addict wants to make his preferences available, he can create his own flavor. A live version for testing is a necessity, but I have an impression that Vector Linux suffers from self-inflicted "variation bloat".
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:56:03 pm »

stretchedthin wrote:

I don't want my point(s) to be lost in the static.   A regular release cycle does three things...a)Prevents the kind of disconnect between base dependencies that we have seen recently with the Soho release, b)A regular release cycle reflects well on the stability of the distribution as a whole and keeps the development team in sync, and c) maximizes exposure to the masses, via Distrowatch and release announcements and reviews.

One more note on release cycles. I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel each release.  The cycle for a team this size could be a full release on year one and a maintenance release on year two.  A full release being a build from scratch with the introduction of innovative new ideas,  and a maintenance release being just an upgrade of the kernel, and core dependencies such as glib, gtk+, qt4, wxWidgets, perl or any other base dependency that may prevent people from being able to build what they want once they become outdated.  (This is the current state of VL6.0, many new versions of apps, simply can not be built against it.)

Sure letting people know that VL is Slackware with bells whistles and polish to spare will help, all I'm saying is that in the Linux world the release cycle is the best soapbox one can stand on to get their word out.

Don't mistake me, I'm not knocking VL.  I really think this is potentially a good move and worth discussing.

...I totally agree!  Sounds like a solid plan to me.   I notice on DistroWatch that whenever there is a "new" release of a distro posted,...there seems to be something like a "feeding-frenzy" of folks downloading and trying out the new distro.  Good be a move in the right direction (would draw attention to VL).   A yearly release sounds good.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 01:58:08 am »

Vector needs more packages in the repository, not more versions. 6.0 is rock solid, looks nice, works great and I agree with a previous poster that 6.1 would be better than 7.0.

The jump in version #'s to 7.0 would or should mean major revisions, and I don't think there will be many (will there?)

Adding a way to use slack builds easier would be a great idea, though I'm not sure how much more help that would be.

As far as ubuntu its nice but there is no support. Go post a question on their forums, you largely get ignored, and then your post gets buried under 100 other posts asking for help that are also ignored. I thought switching to ubuntu was a good idea because they have every linux program in their repository. Thats nice, but the support sucks. I'm still using vector because when I have a question or problem, my questions are almost always answered within 24 hours. My questions usually go beyond the average how do I install something, usually about customizing my desktop and so on, and the bunch of people here have helped me tremendously to learn linux.
I can always count on someone being able to help me here, and the same can not be said for EVERY other distro I've tried.

Soon,I think I will be completely windows free, thanks to the newest wine running windows audio applications much better than ever before. This has been years in the making,
I tried many times to cut that windows umbicle cord but always kept a windows pc around. Vector and linux are now approaching the level of functionality I need for every use,
and soon I think I'll be able to handle all my creative projects on the rock solid crash proof, virus and malware free os of my choice.

Linux, especially vector linux, gives me more power, control and freedom, to use the computer the way I want to, and to customize it to my needs better than any windows or
mac pc could ever do.I'm running linux, windows, dos and even many of my old amiga applications (and GAMES!) side by side seamlessly. Thats a beautiful thing!

Steven

Charles N

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:01 am »

Hello All,

Like Pet3M0ss, I'm also totally new to VL, and agree with some of his first impressions relating to the different versions and "variation bloat".   

Charles N
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 07:26:32 am »

The reason for the different versions is they are more set
for different sets of hardware. Whereby the more bang for
your buck is to match hardware. Almost any system can
run Light. That is not true for SOHO.

Bigpaws
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

I couldn't agree more with stretchedthin about having a SlackBuild repository. I think that's one thing any packager would greatly appreciate.
Whenever I want to package a new version of something that's already in the repo I always go searching for the previous slackbuilds, and they are not always that easy to find, especially for the libraries.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »

https://github.com/PhantomX/slackbuilds

This a huge repo of slackbuilds you can download the whole tree from the download tab on the web page. I have been using it for awhile 90% works out of the box  some you need to edit. But its a big time saver.

Cheers,
Vec
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 11:42:01 pm »

Thanks, I think I can use that Cheesy
However what I was talking about is making a collection of SlackBuilds in the "Vector format", since it makes them easier to follow and compare.

EDIT:
Just created a github account and uploaded 6 slackbuilds:
https://github.com/budulayc/Vector-SlackBuilds/tree/master/VL7

Not much but it's a start)
Whenever I package something I'll push SlackBuilds there.
If anyone else wants to join in, send me your public ssh key and I'll add it so you can upload stuff too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:16:20 am by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:54:11 am »

We do sort of have a slackbuild repo, the source subdirectories of each version's package repo, as in for example:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0soho/source/

However, many of the base libraries are slackware packages, so the slackbuilds for those are in the Slackware repos.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 02:45:49 am »

Yeah, that's where I usually look for SlackBuilds, but quite often things aren't there Sad

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 06:04:47 am »

budulay,
I will get you all the slackbuilds I have amassed since you have volunteered to look after them Smiley

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 06:21:33 am »

Hurray!
Now the 6 I already have won't get lonely Cheesy

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:27 am »

Well, I didn't want to jump the gun, but for some time now I have been trying to organize my whole package building environment (directory tree of slackbuilds, slack-descs, and so on...) so I could put them on line... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:32 am »

Thanks, I think I can use that Cheesy
However what I was talking about is making a collection of SlackBuilds in the "Vector format", since it makes them easier to follow and compare.

EDIT:
Just created a github account and uploaded 6 slackbuilds:
https://github.com/budulayc/Vector-SlackBuilds/tree/master/VL7

Not much but it's a start)
Whenever I package something I'll push SlackBuilds there.
If anyone else wants to join in, send me your public ssh key and I'll add it so you can upload stuff too.

I'll play.  I would just like to be able to upload more than just the slackbuild to your git repository.  I'd like to be able to tar up the SlackBuild, the slack-required, doinst.sh (if outside of the SlackBuild), .png icons and a little script I wrote called called compare.sh. compare.sh just reads the slack-required file and produces a list of packages that it can not find in /var/log/packages so that you know what dependencies to build. 

Really glad to see this idea gaining traction.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »

I'll play.  I would just like to be able to upload more than just the slackbuild to your git repository.  I'd like to be able to tar up the SlackBuild, the slack-required, doinst.sh (if outside of the SlackBuild), .png icons and a little script I wrote called called compare.sh. compare.sh just reads the slack-required file and produces a list of packages that it can not find in /var/log/packages so that you know what dependencies to build. 

Really glad to see this idea gaining traction.

If you tar them all together, you won't be able to view any of them online(will have to download, untar and then view). Instead maybe it'll make sense to have a directory for each package instead of an archive? On the other hand there is a benefit of only having to download a single file with all the stuff packed inside. So I don't know, what do you think?

Well, I didn't want to jump the gun, but for some time now I have been trying to organize my whole package building environment (directory tree of slackbuilds, slack-descs, and so on...) so I could put them on line... Grin
Welcome to the club Grin

Here's the list of things that need to be decided/done for this to work:

1) We need to figure out the file structure(what's the easiest to use way to store stuff)
2) Send me your public ssh key so I can add it to the list of people who can upload stuff to the repo.
OR if you don't want to bother with git and ssh keys and all that, you can just send SlackBuilds to me and I'll upload them myself.
3) Advertise it among packagers Wink

Now that I think about it, just tarring all the files together does seem like the easiest way to go.
Also how about a tools directory for compare.sh and any other useful scripts?
Any thoughts?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: