VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 04:51:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guys.  (Read 757 times)
Murdock

« on: October 04, 2010, 11:33:52 am »

I have a WD drive, external, that a friend of mine brought with movies ....but it has the WD software so I cent access the .exe.
How the hell do I hack this USB HDD

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »

Is the drive encrypted, requiring the WD software to access?
Murdock

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:13 am »

Yep. It seems to be.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:21 am »

WD seems to be going the wrong way with respect to cross-platform functionality. Not long ago they released a windows-only version of their diagnostic software. From what I can see, their encryption software is the same way. They got you locked in to using a specific operating system for accessing that drive.

If it was my drive, I would copy all the files to another location, replace the WD software with Truecrypt and put the files back.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »

I got two WD portables recently (500 gig and 750 gig) and the first thing I did was reformat them to ext3. This wiped out all the WD software (I copied it first to an internal hard drive just because I hate doing anything "final" to a computer).

Encryption was something I don't need but if I did, I'd find a Linux solution.

This wouldn't work with Murdock's problem, as it's his friend's drive. But if someone buys one for Linux...
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: