VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Guys.  (Read 862 times)

Murdock

• Arenal Botanical Garden
Guys.
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:33:52 pm »

I have a WD drive, external, that a friend of mine brought with movies ....but it has the WD software so I cent access the .exe.
How the hell do I hack this USB HDD

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Guys.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »

Is the drive encrypted, requiring the WD software to access?

Murdock

• Arenal Botanical Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:13 am »

Yep. It seems to be.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:14:21 am »

WD seems to be going the wrong way with respect to cross-platform functionality. Not long ago they released a windows-only version of their diagnostic software. From what I can see, their encryption software is the same way. They got you locked in to using a specific operating system for accessing that drive.

If it was my drive, I would copy all the files to another location, replace the WD software with Truecrypt and put the files back.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »

I got two WD portables recently (500 gig and 750 gig) and the first thing I did was reformat them to ext3. This wiped out all the WD software (I copied it first to an internal hard drive just because I hate doing anything "final" to a computer).

Encryption was something I don't need but if I did, I'd find a Linux solution.

This wouldn't work with Murdock's problem, as it's his friend's drive. But if someone buys one for Linux...
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller