Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Guys.  (Read 830 times)

Murdock

• Arenal Botanical Garden
Guys.
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:33:52 am »
I have a WD drive, external, that a friend of mine brought with movies ....but it has the WD software so I cent access the .exe.
How the hell do I hack this USB HDD

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Guys.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
Is the drive encrypted, requiring the WD software to access?

Murdock

• Arenal Botanical Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:13 am »
Yep. It seems to be.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:21 am »
WD seems to be going the wrong way with respect to cross-platform functionality. Not long ago they released a windows-only version of their diagnostic software. From what I can see, their encryption software is the same way. They got you locked in to using a specific operating system for accessing that drive.

If it was my drive, I would copy all the files to another location, replace the WD software with Truecrypt and put the files back.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »
I got two WD portables recently (500 gig and 750 gig) and the first thing I did was reformat them to ext3. This wiped out all the WD software (I copied it first to an internal hard drive just because I hate doing anything "final" to a computer).

Encryption was something I don't need but if I did, I'd find a Linux solution.

This wouldn't work with Murdock's problem, as it's his friend's drive. But if someone buys one for Linux...
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller