VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 07:33:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: login trouble  (Read 1143 times)
musiclover19

« on: October 12, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »

i am not able to login to my desktop anymore unless its on root. when i try to login it keeps giving me this message "Your home directory is listed '/home/lions but it does not appear to exist"

Any help would be greatly appreciated
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19:14 pm »

If you have /home on its own partition, chances are it's not being mounted. Root's home is at /root -- not in the /home tree, so root's home is still found without /home mounted.

Either
Code:
ls /home
or open up the /home directory in a file manager. You should see other directories, especially /home/ftp. If you don't see any, then home's not mounted, hopefully. The other option is that it's been deleted -- hope not, and I don't think so.

Open a terminal (xterm, konsole, . . .) and enter: vasm
Choose FILESYSTEM, then MOUNT, then ADD. Select the partition that has /home, and type in /home for the mount point.

I believe all VL's currently in use have VASM. You may have VasmCC. It will do the same job, but I don't know how as I haven't added it to my light version.

HTH, and that your home hasn't gone to the bitbucket. Even if it has, post back. There're folks here that might be able to help you retrieve it even then.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
musiclover19

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »

i tried the following instructions but it is still not allowing me to log on.Huh Is there any other possible way to solve this problem?

thank you in advance.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:38:18 pm »

Try using VASM to create a new user and see if you can log in using that account.
musiclover19

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:45 am »

ok it let me login as i created a new user. Is there any way that i can retrieve my data from my other user to my new user?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 02:57:34 pm »

The old user's files should be available in /home/(old_user). Open the file manager and see if you can read/copy the files to your new home.

Suggestion: Open a terminal and use command "mc /home" to launch Midnight Commander. It will show all files. Navigate with up/down/right/left arrows. If it won't let you enter the old user home dir, try doing this as root. Don't copy the files as root, just see if the files are okay. If this is the case, post back for instructions on how to change file permissions.
musiclover19

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »

i tried  using the command "mc/home" in the terminal and it keeps saying no such file or directory.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:11:02 pm »

Try mc /home

There is a space.

Bigpaws
musiclover19

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:19:01 pm »

With the midnight commander how i do to retrieve my files from my old user and put them on my new user?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:39:52 pm by musiclover19 » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 03:35:51 am »

On the bottom bar in MC, you will see some commands listed. The numbers refer to the function keys, so:
F5 = Copy, F6 = Move, F8 = Delete etc..
Use the Insert key to mark multiple files.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: