VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 07:24:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New name for Vector  (Read 8728 times)
vectorrules

« on: October 12, 2010, 05:46:11 pm »

Two things are holding the distro back:

The name, too generic. It needs to be something that will sound appealing.  Ex: Latin words, maybe some type of emperor's name etc etc

IRC Channel: This channel is dead, there's no one in there to support new users. This is a problem!
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »

I was just in the irc channel and three ppl chatting. There is usually someone there. However not many use
the irc channel for support, probably due to not many ppl knowing about it.

Bigpaws
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

And then there are people like me, who like things just the way they are....who don't know what an IRC channel is . . . who get plenty of support from this forum.... and who seriously doubt that there is a better name out there somewhere.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:44:20 pm »

Vector is appealing, and there're possible denotations that haven't been explored.

Support from any IRC channel would vary too widely, depending on who's present and alive. Some help there, but its topic is right: forum is a much better idea for help. And I say this even as I have a strong preference and affinity for IRC.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:26:51 am »

You just need to hang arround a bit. We are usually in the IRC channel, just not watching the screen all the time waiting for a support request Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:37 pm »

VectorLinux has been around how long? 10 or 11 years? At this point it wouldn't make sense to change the name--VL does have an identity, you know. Besides, do we really want the kind of user who would pick a distro because it had a catchy name???

I've been using VectorLinux for many years and have a real emotional attachment to the name. It makes me happy!

I can't comment on IRC as I never use it. I don't care much for realtime stuff on the Internet and I find this forum to be exactly what I like to use. One real plus for the forum is that your problem and the steps to its solution can be very helpful to other people experiencing something similar, plus it stays on this forum "forever" for future reference and can thus help many people over time.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:48:56 pm »

I am in agreement with Granny, with one correction, I have gone to IRC and got an instant solution to a problem, so it has value.... having said that having this repository of knowledge is very valuable.  And lets keep the name, I likewise have some considerable attachment to it.
Murdock

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 12:20:04 am »

Names are irrelevant. Functionality is everything.

What Vector needs is for us users to talk it up a bit via Youtube and some of the Linux forums.
That and folks need to keep sending CD's to the various online ragazines so they can play with it a bit and review it.

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

OK,..vectorrules,...
perhaps you got too used to French names? Or perhaps South African names?    Grin Grin Grin
(Just teasing you,...'cause I saw you used to use Mandriva).....
How 'bout we name it:
Il Fonctionne

(ps,...what is this IRC thingy you speak of???)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:43:07 pm by nitehawk » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:13 am »

(ps,...what is this IRC thingy you speak of???)

what is this IRC thingy of which you speak?

Question:  "Where are you from?"
Answer:  "In America we don't end our sentences with a preposition?"
Question:  "Where are you from, A--Hole"

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »

Just in case somebody takes "not ending a sentence with a preposition" seriously, this is NOT a rule of grammar. Its persistence is founded on a false premise. It's in the same class as "don't split an infinitive," which is also not a valid rule of English grammar. Both bogus rules were perpetrated by uninformed people who thought English grammar should follow Latin grammar.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:25 pm »

"Granny spews the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

paraphrasing Winston C

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »

"Granny spews the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

paraphrasing Winston C
.....you have great wit!  <nitehawk goes off chuckling into the sunset>
ronnyquest

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »

Vector is a great name, in my opinion.  It implies speed and direction, which this distro has in spades.  I think a name change would be detrimental ad would cause confusion.

Variations of the name, for specialized distributions, such as education or science, make sense.  Vector Science or Vector Education, for instance.

The Team has a great brand; stick with it.

Compaq Presario 900Z (AMD Athlon MP, 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD) - VL 6.0 Standard
Gateway Laptop (Celeron M 1.60 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD) - VL 6.0
2 x Homebrew PCs (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 4096MB RAM, 500 GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO) - VL 7.0-64
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:37 pm »

I must say I used this distro for like 1 week and it has won my heart! Everything just works! flash seems to be not choppy at all (my major complaint with the past distros I had) plus it is easy to use! A name change would make me sad cause the name Vector Linux reminds me of the first day I tried it and was blown away at how well it runs. And the few problems I did have the forms helped a lot!

Forever in a box
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: