VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 06:05:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No WICD Network Status Icon in VL6.0 Light. [Solved]  (Read 1173 times)
vlinco

« on: October 14, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »

I have VL6.0 Light installed on an old IBM Aptiva AMD K6 266Mhz w/256Mb memory. Everything works OK, except that there's no WICD network status icon in the panel. I ran "wicd-client" from a terminal session, and the status icon displayed in the panel OK, but the terminal session never came back to an input prompt. When I closed the terminal window, the icon disappeared from the panel. Later after rebooting I added the following lines to startup in the ~/.icewm directory:

# Start WICD network status icon.
/usr/bin/wicd-client

After adding those lines, I logged out and back in, and the status icon displayed. Great!! Then I shut the PC completely down and did a cold boot. This time, after I logged in, the status icon didn't display. Logging out and back in resulted in the same thing, nothing.  Huh

My question is: What should I do (Step by step) to get the WICD network status icon to automatically display in the panel?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:38:12 am by vlinco » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:47:58 am »

There are two parts to wicd. First, you need to start the wicd service by running:
Code:
vasm > super > service > srvset > 4 Graphical user interface desktop > [select the entry for wicd] > ok > exit all the way out

Next, change the line in your startup file to launch the client:
Code:
wicd-gtk &
vlinco

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 05:33:44 am »

First of all, thank you very much for the quick response.

Did exactly as you instructed, shut down completely, and restarted the PC. Still no WICD network status icon.

Tried changing "wicd-gtk &" that I added to ~/.icewm/startup to "wicd-client &". After a complete restart, it worked great!

I have the WICD network status icon now.

Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: