VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Printing/Cups Problem  (Read 783 times)

tomh38

• Vectorian
Printing/Cups Problem
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:00:37 am »

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I'm still a Vectorbie after all these years, otherwise I would have put this in a different section.  I just installed VL 6.0 Standard Deluxe on my newly rebuilt main machine, and when I went to install my printer (HP 920C), this is what I got:

I may have had this problem before ... I vaguely remember having to open port 631.

So I fired up VasmCC, went to Network, got this:

So, here's my situation.  I've always had bad experiences with graphical front-ends for iptables (Guarddog, Firestarter, some others now deceased).  I'd rather just be able to edit cupsd.conf or pass a command as root ... but I did a bunch of googling and just about everything is either distro-specific or seems off to me.  For example, one post suggested openin 127.0.0.1 with https as root ... which sounds to me like I might end up with a printer installed, but that can only be accessed as root.

So I have two questions:

1)  Does anybody know of a (relatively) easy way to open port 631?  I'll even use Firestarter, I just need some extra-specific instructions, so that I don't end up with messed up rules and not able to connect to the net.  I've done this to myself before.  If so, I have enough experience with setting up printers with cupsweb that I can probably handle it from there. 

2)  Would it just be easier to get 6.0 SOHO Deluxe ... with my new mobo and processor after 7 years I think the machine can handle the increased performance hit (if there is one ... I'm going to keep using Xfce).

Any help would be appreciated.  I can post my cupsd.conf, but I haven't altered it, so it's whatever the default is.

Thanks everyone.  By the way, I have VL 6 on my laptop, and it prints fine, so I can always use that.  There is no urgency to this question.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
Re: Printing/Cups Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:51:58 am »

I think you have to add "admin" or "printer" or some such in the initial url after "~631/" to get past the 404 error.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Murdock

• Arenal Botanical Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:17:37 pm »

Do you have hplip installed ?
Gslapt search hplip and install or reinstall it.

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:35:11 pm »

HPLIP

hp-setup

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 0

Using connection type: usb

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

It's a usb printer.

root:# hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

error: Unable to load Qt4 support. Is it installed?

Actually, Qt4 is installed.

Any suggestions?
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:33 am »

Do you have hplip installed ?

If that's the same as Applications>Accessories>HP Device Manager, its a piece of crap. I have several hp printers but run them all under cups, not HP Device Manager.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511