VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 09:34:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing/Cups Problem  (Read 641 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: October 17, 2010, 09:00:37 am »

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I'm still a Vectorbie after all these years, otherwise I would have put this in a different section.  I just installed VL 6.0 Standard Deluxe on my newly rebuilt main machine, and when I went to install my printer (HP 920C), this is what I got:

I may have had this problem before ... I vaguely remember having to open port 631.

So I fired up VasmCC, went to Network, got this:

So, here's my situation.  I've always had bad experiences with graphical front-ends for iptables (Guarddog, Firestarter, some others now deceased).  I'd rather just be able to edit cupsd.conf or pass a command as root ... but I did a bunch of googling and just about everything is either distro-specific or seems off to me.  For example, one post suggested openin 127.0.0.1 with https as root ... which sounds to me like I might end up with a printer installed, but that can only be accessed as root.

So I have two questions:

1)  Does anybody know of a (relatively) easy way to open port 631?  I'll even use Firestarter, I just need some extra-specific instructions, so that I don't end up with messed up rules and not able to connect to the net.  I've done this to myself before.  If so, I have enough experience with setting up printers with cupsweb that I can probably handle it from there. 

2)  Would it just be easier to get 6.0 SOHO Deluxe ... with my new mobo and processor after 7 years I think the machine can handle the increased performance hit (if there is one ... I'm going to keep using Xfce).

Any help would be appreciated.  I can post my cupsd.conf, but I haven't altered it, so it's whatever the default is.

Thanks everyone.  By the way, I have VL 6 on my laptop, and it prints fine, so I can always use that.  There is no urgency to this question.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:51:58 am »

I think you have to add "admin" or "printer" or some such in the initial url after "~631/" to get past the 404 error.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Murdock

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:17:37 am »

Do you have hplip installed ?
Gslapt search hplip and install or reinstall it.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

HPLIP

hp-setup

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 0

Using connection type: usb

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

It's a usb printer.

root:# hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

error: Unable to load Qt4 support. Is it installed?

Actually, Qt4 is installed.

Any suggestions?

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:25:33 pm »

Do you have hplip installed ?

If that's the same as Applications>Accessories>HP Device Manager, its a piece of crap. I have several hp printers but run them all under cups, not HP Device Manager.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: