VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 06:16:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add App Launcher Icons To VL Light 6.0 Panel. [Solved]  (Read 834 times)
vlinco

« on: October 16, 2010, 02:18:41 am »

I just installed VL Light 6.0 on an old IBM Aptiva (AMD 266MHz, 256Mb mem, 15Gb HD). It uses the default window manager (IceWM, I think). I'd like to add a few launcher icons for often used apps (browser, file manager, etc.) to the panel. I don't see an obvious way to do it, so may require editing a file somewhere. (A) Can it be done?, and (B) if so, how?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:06:16 am by vlinco » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:02:33 am »

Open the file ~/.icewm/toolbar in a text editor.
You should see these lines:
Code:
prog Xterm xterm xterm
prog FTE fte fte
prog Netscape netscape netscape
Of these three, only the top one creates an icon on the panel, named "Xterm", the icon used is named "xterm" (actually /usr/share/icewm/themes/IceGil Grey/taskbar/xterm.xpm), and the launch command is "xterm". The other two don't show up, because those programs are not installed.

Experiment with your own entries in this location. More info found here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/icewm-toolbar-383209/
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:53:49 am »

Open the file ~/.icewm/toolbar in a text editor.
You should see these lines:
Code:
prog Xterm xterm xterm
prog FTE fte fte
prog Netscape netscape netscape
Of these three, only the top one creates an icon on the panel, named "Xterm", the icon used is named "xterm" (actually /usr/share/icewm/themes/IceGil Grey/taskbar/xterm.xpm), and the launch command is "xterm". The other two don't show up, because those programs are not installed.

Experiment with your own entries in this location. More info found here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/icewm-toolbar-383209/

Here is my toolbar entry...

# This is an example for IceWM's toolbar definition file.
#
# Place your variants in /etc/icewm or in $HOME/.icewm
# since modifications to this file will be discarded when you
# (re)install icewm.
#
prog XTerm xterm xterm
prog FTE fte fte
prog Firefox /home/lyn/icons/firefox_32x32.png firefox
prog Mail /home/lyn/icons/email_32x32.xpm claws-mail
prog Files /home/lyn/icons/disks_32x32.xpm thunar
prog Music /home/lyn/icons/audacity_16x16.xpm xmms
prog Notes /home/lyn/icons/nedit_32x32.xpm mousepad

As you can see this has been done just locally, including a local icon file
vlinco

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:04:49 am »

nightflier:

Ah, Ha!!!! I was actually in that file, saw the entries for FTE and Netscape, and thought that VL must not be using this file.

After looking at the page using the link that you provided (excellent examples), I followed your instructions.

I added the following two lines to add launcher icons for the file manager (pcmanfm) and the browser (seamonkey):

prog  "File Manager"  /usr/share/pixmaps/pcmanfm.png  pcmanfm
prog  Browser  /usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.png  seamonkey

After log out and back in, Voila!!!, new launcher icons in the panel.

Lyn:

Thanks for the complete example.

Thanks to both for all the help.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 02:23:27 pm »

My pleasure, I like IceWM, it hits the sweet spot for me, configurable with reasonably easy syntax, light yet flexible and extensible.  I don't bother with desktop icons and just use the icons on the tool bar for quick starts, and the very easy to modify (especially with the script that runs to update it) menu.  Its also quite easy to make your own theme too. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: