VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 11:23:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vectorlinux 7.0 Core Alpha 3  (Read 7595 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:35 pm »

Saw the announcement on Distowatch, so I downloaded and installed it. Everything seems to have gone fine, but when it goes to start the dekstop, I'm getting this:

Code:
System has no Xclients file, so starting a failsafe
xterm session. Windows will have focus only if the mouse
pointer is above them. To get out of the this mode,
type 'exit' the in the window.

Huh

I used the auto proble option, since in the past, I've lost access to the cursor keys if I set it with no xorg.conf.

Paul.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:11:30 pm »

I've had a similar experience.  I used the vxconf option for video set-up, but got the same warning as you...
Code:
System has no Xclients file, so starting a failsafe
xterm session. Windows will have focus only if the mouse
pointer is above them. To get out of the this mode,
type 'exit' the in the window.

edit...
Just rebooted.  This time at the Desktop Manager I selected options and selected xfce4.  I was then able to boot into the desktop without difficulties.  Beautiful desktop Cairo-Dock by default is a nice treat.  Time to play.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:16:32 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:05:49 am »

oops was going to announce but you found it before ...................yes gdm is  now the session manager have to use options and select xfce4 to get there. I 'm sure there is away to make xfce4 default in gdm but haven't found it yet Lots of updates here gcc to 4.4 and most everything else. Let me know what you think. This should be last vl7-core from here we go to vl7 std beta so need all the ideas to carry this forward.

Cheers,
Vec
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:17 am »

Hi Vec, was wondering if any of the ideas being tossed around from the previous round got implemented. ie... jpeg-turbo, realtime kernel or vloopback (whatever that is).  I noticed the cursor navigation works out of box, gotta like that.

Other than the cairo-desktop config file, being set for included apps by default and mousepad having the annoying habit of allowing only one use of the find function before it locks up, so far it looks pretty good. 
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:57 pm »

Bad news here.

I burned the CD and tried to boot my Celeron desktop with it. No go. It booted but when I got to the initial screen to choose resolution, I got no response from keyboard or mouse, therefore I was dead in the water. They are both USB. This is alarming, given that most keyboards and mice today are USB and computers often come with no PS/2 ports.

I hope this will be fixed in the next release. Meanwhile, I have a PS/2 keyboard in my computer junk closet and I think there's a PS/2 mouse in there, too. I'll hook those up and see if I can get VL7 a3 installed and if my USB keyboard and mouse will work after that.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:16:44 pm »

oops was going to announce but you found it before ...................yes gdm is  now the session manager have to use options and select xfce4 to get there. I 'm sure there is away to make xfce4 default in gdm but haven't found it yet Lots of updates here gcc to 4.4 and most everything else. Let me know what you think. This should be last vl7-core from here we go to vl7 std beta so need all the ideas to carry this forward.

Cheers,
Vec

Smiley Thanks. That works....

First report. I'm seeing an error on startup:

Code:
gdm-binary [2058]: no suitable secuirty token driver could be found

Doesn't seem to affect things, but gdm is obviously unhappy.

Xfce has display compositing turned on by default. Works for me, I would imagine some older machines would have problems with that.

I tried using X without an xorg.conf, but, as in the last version, cursor keys don't work properly for me doing that, so I had to run vxconf to get a proper xorg.conf generated. When I did that, I couldn't configure the keyboard - got a message about a missing xorg keyboard layout file.

Strange one. I noticed this with the last alpha, but didn't look all that closely. Something is hitting the CPU very hard intermitently. It looks as though it may be X. Whatever it is, after I set up CPU throttling:

Code:
echo ondemand > /sys/devics/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_govenor
echo 40 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufrequ/ondemand/up_threshold

I now find that the CPU will go to its normal low speed mode, but keeps toggling back into full speed mode. Looking at htop, all I can see is /usr/bin/X coming to the top of the display when it goes to full speed. CPU load doesn't show anything significant, but this hunting up and down is annoying, and does seem to lead to some slugishness as well.

More later.

Paul.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:17:38 pm »

I got no response from keyboard or mouse, therefore I was dead in the water
Granny did you try alpha 2.1 prior? Did you have the same problem? Need some more information as nothing has changed kernel wise from 2.1 to 3 and no usb mouse and keyboard is a kernel config problem. Anyone else having this problem?

Cheers,
Vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:59:03 pm »

I had an earlier VL7 alpha but I don't know which one. It was the first one you announced about in this forum. I don't recall having the problem.

I switched to a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse from my computer junk closet (and indeed they both are junk), and was able to install with them. At the first reboot I turned off the computer, removed the PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and attached the USB keyboard and mouse. No problems booting into VL 7 a3, so it's an installation problem at the point where you select the resolution before the actual GUI installer comes up.

I did some switching around of peripherals on my computers a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure I had the USB keyboard and mouse at this computer the last time I installed VL 7. VL6 SOHO Deluxe had no problems with the USB keyboard or mouse. I do have legacy USB support enabled in BIOS.

I hope anybody else having the problem will let us know.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »

I installed today after switching from a USB keyboard and mouse to PS/2 keyboard and mouse for the installation only. Then back to my USB keyboard and mouse for configuration after first reboot.

I got the same xterm message as already reported here. I got past that and proceeded to check things out and install programs I must have that aren't included like SeaMonkey and wine.

I'm having big problems with Midnight Commander. I can't open a new instance of Midnight Commander when one instance is already running. I'm using XFce's Terminal and have always been able to open a new instance in the same window, but not in VL7. None of the keys worked right when I first ran MC. I went to Options, Learn Keys and got them working one at a time. This also happened in either VL7 or SOHO Final or SOHO Deluxe. I don't remember which one(s).

Opera is a mess. There are no menus or the new Menu button, and I can't get the Alt-F2 command to work that's supposed to give me a box for typing a URL. The version of Opera is old, so I downloaded the latest version but haven't had a chance yet to install it. I hope the new version will fix it.

Flash is an out-of-date version. We should have the latest version in the ISO, given that Flash updates are usually for security fixes.

I don't like the darkish grey in application windows. I think it's from the default theme. I'll investigate how to change it.

I had trouble getting tuxcards to work. I always copy it over from another VL installation. This time I also had to copy some libqt 3.x files from an older VL partition.

Will report more as I test more.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:51:24 am »

Emergency!

I can't get Midnight Commander to work right on VL7. I downloaded the latest Opera and expanded the tar.gz file. I then switched to root and tried to run the installation by typing ./install in the directory. I got this:
root:# ./install
Error opening terminal: terminal.
'terminal': unknown terminal type.

I was using xterm

I get a similar message if I try to start Midnight Commander from the XFce Terminal:
Unknown terminal: terminal
Check the TERM environment variable.
Also make sure that the terminal is defined in the terminfo database.
Alternatively, set the TERMCAP environment variable to the desired
termcap entry.

I must have my Midnight Commander working properly!!!! What can I do to fix this?

I'm using XFce.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:03 am »

When I tried to install my printers through VASM, I got a message that the CUPS service wasn't running (it was) and then that it couldn't find CUPS. So its' not working in VASM. I started Firefox, went to http://localhost:631/admin and CUPS was there and ready to install my printers. No problems there. They are installed and working. However, I don't believe I started Firefox as root and CUPS never complained, so I guess that is odd.

Is there nothing in VL7 yet for scanners? It didn't recognize sane-find-scanner or sane or xsane, so I assume scanning isn't implemented yet.

Opera continues to be an unusable disaster and I can't install the upgrade since nothing recognizes the terminal when I try to install a third-party app. Hey, I'm running the install from the terminal! Dumb computers.<g>

Back for more exploration.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »

I'm running LILO from a floppy disk. It boots VL7 fine, but I get a kernel panic with the other OSes (VL6, VL6 SOHO Deluxe, VL6 Light, more). I ran into this with my previous VL7 alpha, too. The problem is that VL7 identifies all partitions as /dev/sdx but the earlier VLs use /dev/hdx. I hope this can be fixed because otherwise I'll need two LILO floppies depending on what version of VL I want to start.

I temporarily fixed the Opera problem by installing Opera 10.60 from my SOHO Deluxe CD2. However, 10.63 is the latest version and I can't install it because of the terminal problem I described in an earlier message.

I also installed OpenOffice.org 3.2 from the Deluxe CD2 and Scribus from CD2. Scribus wouldn't run until I installed a libpodofo from CD2. It now runs but I get many error messages related to libpng versions.

I'm out of time right now for more experimenting.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:51:17 pm »

Just installed and can't boot. It hangs when the CONGRATULATION.....Happy
Vector something window shows up.  Keyboard seems to be disabled. Cursor
blinks on OK.
Murdock

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:37:57 am »

I'm running LILO from a floppy disk. It boots VL7 fine, but I get a kernel panic with the other OSes (VL6, VL6 SOHO Deluxe, VL6 Light, more). I ran into this with my previous VL7 alpha, too. The problem is that VL7 identifies all partitions as /dev/sdx but the earlier VLs use /dev/hdx. I hope this can be fixed because otherwise I'll need two LILO floppies depending on what version of VL I want to start.

I temporarily fixed the Opera problem by installing Opera 10.60 from my SOHO Deluxe CD2. However, 10.63 is the latest version and I can't install it because of the terminal problem I described in an earlier message.

I also installed OpenOffice.org 3.2 from the Deluxe CD2 and Scribus from CD2. Scribus wouldn't run until I installed a libpodofo from CD2. It now runs but I get many error messages related to libpng versions.

I'm out of time right now for more experimenting.
--GrannyGeek

I'm hearing sounds of kids saying " What the hell is a floppy disk ?" Grin

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »

I have four computers. Only one, the Celeron desktop in my sig, has a floppy drive. The only thing I use it for is LILO boot disks. It's really handy for that because that is my main testing computer for new VectorLinux releases. With LILO floppy disks I can start the test releases without touching the MBR or the hard drive. One thing I never do is mess with the MBR. LILO on a floppy is the easiest way to boot these multiple test versions with no risk to whatever is on the computer.

I've actually considered getting a USB floppy drive so I could use LILO floppy disks on the other computers, but I haven't been motivated enough to bother.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: