VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 11:36:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: linux is the better tool  (Read 1097 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: October 27, 2010, 06:38:09 am »

They say that, unlike in my day, kids today can't go to college, learn a profession, and stick with it for 30 years.  They say that change is coming so quickly that a college preparation will only last a few years, that most successful kids today will, in effect, be forced to make what amounts to a career change every 4 or 5 years.  So they say.

If they be right, isn't a knowledge of linux a substantive advantage to today's kids?  The Gates' people mostly wait around for someone to develop a program that will perform a particular task.  As those programs cost money, most Gates kids don't do too much experimenting.  But linux kids have access to a world of (mostly) free programs and, as they are more familiar with the workings of their computers, an enhanced ability to develop their own programs.

In short, if they be right, linux kids can be expected to outperform Gates' kids as this century gets on.  Do your kid a favor.  Give him or her linux.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:47:23 am »

indeed.

its amazing what i have learned with my time with linux. I far from know everything about it. but I am to the point where i can usually get myself out of a jam in *nix.

Linux Registered User #481509.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:05:39 pm »

As painful as this is, I agree with sledgehammer on this point.

According to their teachers, the young people who participate in our Computers for Kids Program improve many aspects of their daily classroom activities after they receive their computers. Additionally, we work with them to determine replacements for windows/mac proprietary programs such as iTunes and the iTunes Store.

The goal is to teach these young people to be self-reliant and not depend on MS or Apple to solve their software needs.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:42:28 pm »

Some food for thought here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbI-363A2Q

Project site is here:

http://shifthappens.wikispaces.com/