VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 03:18:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox Audacious and Banshee.....Oh, my.....!  (Read 2641 times)
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »

Does anyone have much experience with Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox Audacious and/or Banshee?

Which one seems to work the best as a music organizer? Creating Playlists? Managing mp3's on a variety of iPods and other mp3 players?

Any thoughts, pros and/or cons would be appreciated.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Murdock

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »

I like aTunes
Lookie here.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/09.Multimedia/page

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:50:41 am »

Nice find!  Smiley
Following the (as usual) excellent tutorial I installed aTunes on my desktop machine. Initial impression is very favorable. Nice features and easy to figure out.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:10:44 am »

I never understood why these programs are so popular. Maybe I'm just used to doing things the old fashioned way... Mp3's are files, so I just treat them like that. I don't have an ipod but my generic mp3 player I just plug in and drag and drop.

I will try amarok though and see what I'm missing Smiley

Steven
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:12 am »

Great thread.

I installed Amarok.    Had to add testing repository first to get around dependency error.  Did not put icon in the menu, best I can tell.  Very big program when all dependencies are downloaded.  However, it seems to work great. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »

Thanks to sledgehammer and one of the students who received a computer through the Computers for Kids program, I believe we have a very good alternative - aTunes.....!

I downloaded the multi-platform installer from http://www.atunes.org/?page_id=6 and double-clicked on it. The installer ran without issue and placed a menu entry in 'other' and a launcher on my desktop.

I imported the mp3'sI keep on my test machine, created playlists and synced up a generic mp3 player without issue.

aTunes (or whichever of the other free music managers/players you prefer) plus the mp3 stores at Rhapsody, Wall-Mart and (single purchases only without the download manager) Amazon represent a viable alternative to iTunes and the iTunes Store.....  Cool

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 04:11:29 pm »

Please let us know what the kids think when they get the computers with aTunes.

I have about 30 gigs of music files (all legally downloaded or ripped) but I don't have an iPod, I have a Sandisk MP3 player. I've never used iTunes. So I don't know if there's something about iTunes that you can't get with a different music player--except buying from the iTunes store.

I manage my music between the Sandisk player and my Linux computers by plugging in the MP3 player, where it shows up as a USB drive, and copying the files to the MP3 player.

I'm very curious about the reaction of the kids. And make sure you know what they really think (if you can), not what they might say because they know where your own bias is.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:54 pm »

Grannygeek, Never_stop_learning

Perhaps I can get the 14 year old to tell us herself.  I don't know why, but the "kids" don't seem to wander often over to this forum.  Perhaps we should count our blessings.

I suspect the reason why is that we give them firefox rather than seamonkey. The Vector Linux forums are much more prevalent in seamonkey.  Plus, I think the kids are a bit nervous about the whole idea.

Still, I will see if I can get her to access this thread and directly give us her thoughts on atunes.  My recollection is that she liked it a lot.  She is pure "kid."

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:25 pm »

And thank you to Murdock for also suggesting aTunes.....  Cool

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:44 pm »

Please let us know what the kids think when they get the computers with aTunes.

I have about 30 gigs of music files (all legally downloaded or ripped) but I don't have an iPod, I have a Sandisk MP3 player. I've never used iTunes. So I don't know if there's something about iTunes that you can't get with a different music player--except buying from the iTunes store.

I manage my music between the Sandisk player and my Linux computers by plugging in the MP3 player, where it shows up as a USB drive, and copying the files to the MP3 player.

I'm very curious about the reaction of the kids. And make sure you know what they really think (if you can), not what they might say because they know where your own bias is.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek,

sledgehammer has a good idea (God, that hurt  Wink ) in getting the 14 year old to give us feedback on aTunes.

We also have one or two additional young people who will be trialling aTunes in conjunction with the Rhapsody, Wal-Mart and Amazon mp3 stores so we get an idea regarding ease of purchase and ease of managing purchased tracks.

We'll definitely report back with pros and cons.

nsl  Cool
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:46:51 pm by never_stop_learning » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: