What exactly is the error you're getting?
Do you mind posting the actual output?
Would if I could. There is no output - progress stops (usually on the makeinfo-slapt part of the cycle), and eventually, I get a 'write failed - broken pipe error when the connection is dropped. I've tried running through screen (which will often survive a broken SSH session), but when I log back in, the screen session is always dead.
Initially I thought it might be something to do with my connection, but subsequent testing has shown that it happens to others in different areas, as well as when the scripts are run locally, so that's not the problem.
From what support said, when the script was run locally, it locked the session it was running from and prevented SSH logins until it was terminated.
I've pretty well rulled out file system problems - one lockup was happening in the VL6.0 old area on a KDE localisation package, so I moved all of them to a holding area, only to have the system lock up on something else. Currently, I suspect that it is one of the new executables required to handle .txz packages doesn't like something in the older packages, though it may be time related - the scripts complete in the 6.0 SOHO area and the 7.0 alpha area, but both of those are tiny compared to some of the 6.0 areas (extra and old, for instance).
Unfortunately, I've ot been able to get the update scripts to complete in either of those areas, and a good number of files have been moved between them, so the repo will be very unreliable if I let the changes propogate.