VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 07:50:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repo problems  (Read 4006 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37:00 am »

I would do it, but all of my linux vms and hideouts are offline for some reason today... so I might clone it tonight and see how it goes.

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 03:09:55 pm »

I've added a mini-repo on SOHO to my local hard-drive and found I had trouble in two areas.
1. The default slapt-get that was included with vl6.0soho could not read the PACKAGES.TXT file created by the new makeinfo.slack.   I had to upgrade to slapt-get-0.10.2f-i586.

Yeah, that was a problem when I was first setting up the new repos - couldn't do any processing until slapt-get was updated. Which is why it was one of the first packages I build for SOHO....

2.  I had to take all the packages I had compiled as a tlz extract it and re tar it as a txz.  For some reason the mixed selection of .tlz packages and .txz packages just was not working.

I don't think the problem is the same. I've not had any real problem updating the testing area for VL6.0, only with big areas, such as extra, and old. Though it could be - I'm seeing occasional complaints from tar during the processing - the newer version doesn't seem to entirely like the format of the files produced by older versions.

Just my 2bits, hope it helps. 

If problems have already been discovered and excluded, maybe you could use the mini-repo idea as a test bed and try to recreate the problem you are experiencing with the main repo.

Well, as already mentioned, so far, I'm mainly seeing problems on big areas. Not very keen on having to dedicate that much space to a test repo, though it may be the only thing I can do. Finding time to do it is also likely to be a problem. Apart from being back with 65 hour weeks, I've got a couple of servers that I need to get built and deployed as soon as possible. One, which should be bonding two ADSL lines is giving me all sorts of problems at the moment. It should have been up and running at least a couple of weeks ago.

Have to see when I have some free time (I'm sure I used to have free time. Just can't remember what its like.....)

Paul.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »

At this point, the only thing I can think of is to clone a copy of the repos to a local drive, and run the scripts there, because it just sounds too much like a filesystem problem rather than anything else.

I guess it is possible it is a file system problem. If I have time, I'll try creating a clone of the VL6.0 old area and running the scripts on the clone. That is one that I've been completely unable to update for several weeks.

Paul.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »

Shot in the dark:

The suggestion that areas with older files are more of a problem seems to point back to lzma. Newer files may be compressed with lzma2, older with lzma1.

I took a look at the sections Unsupported .lzma files and Trailing garbage in the xz(1) man page. I haven't been around long enough to know whether that means anything here or not.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 01:50:14 pm »

I have restored my ssh key, and gained access to osl again... can you please tell me exactly which operation is failing for you?

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 02:33:10 pm »

I have restored my ssh key, and gained access to osl again... can you please tell me exactly which operation is failing for you?

Running 'makeinfo-slack all ' on ~/Repo/veclinux-6.0/old or extra will fail at some point (not just me - happend to Jordan from support and also to JohnB316, same area).

I've also had a few failures running 'makeinfo-slapt all' on the same areas, but they normally seem to go through.

Paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:09 pm »

I just ran both scripts in testing and extra. All ran just fine.

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:20 am »

I just ran both scripts in testing and extra. All ran just fine.

And it has just locked up solid attempting to run the scripts on old. As I already said, testing has not been a problem. Other areas have, sometimes intermittently, but in all instances, far too often for what little free time I have.

If old can't be updated (and I've not been able to update it for more than 2 weeks), the repo state will not be properly updated.

Paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 08:10:09 am »

I ran the scripts on old yesterday too. I will log back in today and test all areas to see what happens. I did notice that the box appears to be unstable though. Yesterday when I logged in the uptime on the box registered only 5 days. This morning I logged back on  and the uptime was just over 10 minnutes. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with your problems.

[EDIT]
I just tried this again, and this box is definitely restarting for some reason. I tried updating the extra section of the VL-6.0 repos, and suddenly, the session times out, which means it disconnected. give it a couple of minnutes and try ssh again, and you can see that indeed, the box has just restarted. This would indicate a hardware problem at the server more than anything else.

I've ran into this @ home and it could be anything from a  bad RAM module to a failing hard disk
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:51:16 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 06:25:25 am »

Support reckon that the hardware problems were fixed, but I'm starting to agree - just hit the same problem (running the scripts on old). When I eventually got back in (timed out several times first), uptime was showing 2 minutes.

I've sent yet some more email to support with that in it - see what they say. This is really becoming frustrating.....

Paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 05:28:20 am »

Unfortunately, seems out of our control.

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:31 am »

Unfortunately, seems out of our control.

Sad Yeah. I've emailed support yet again, but not heard anything back at all so far. Which is rapidly becoming very frustrating.

Paul.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: