VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: firewall setup?  (Read 1105 times)

davidlondonuk

firewall setup?
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

Hi,

I am new to Vector Linux having moved over from Arch Linux- I am using Vector 6 std gold edition, just installed and updated with gslapt.

Firestarter is installed but I can only run that as root? There is also the firewall service which I have now set to start on runlevel 4 (normal gui desktop), what is the connection here? Are firestarter and the rc.firewall service two different things or does firestarter create the iptables settings that rc.firewall uses.

I just want a standard desktop firewall that I can configure to allow bittorrent and nfs etc-which appear to be working with rc.firewall; although deluge is telling me that I have 'no incoming connections' when I use it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: firewall setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

A quick look @ /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall indicates that it does triggers the rules set in place by iptables.
Firestarter AFAIK, is a front end for the old iptables tools.

So I would think that you can setup the rules with firestarter. I dont know if fire starter saves them to a special place to run them from or just tye global system rules.