VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:40:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: win 7 duel boot  (Read 6413 times)
bujums

« on: October 31, 2010, 08:41:44 am »

I tried to duel boot with Windows 7 and Vector but then could not boot to 7 so then I installed ubuntu.  I am able to boot into either ubuntu or 7 now but it seems that 7 is having some trouble with the boot as I get errors and it asks me how I want windows to boot about every other time I boot into 7.   Any way, so I have several questions.
1.)  Has anyone been able to duel boot 7  vector or ubuntu or anything... and fix the boot loader issue?
2.)  I'm up for unpartitioning my hard drive and just have window 7 and then install Wubi but then I have to fix the windows boot loader.  I am sure I can find out how to do that I could but if anyone has some experience with that I would like the advise.

Thanks
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:21:58 pm »

I dual-booted win7 and VL6.0 Light. I didn't do anything to make it work, too - the install cd took care of everything. It detected windows partition and configured lilo during setup.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:55:13 am »

For me, the only way to do it was to use EasyBCD to edit the Win7 bootloader and chainload lilo from there. lilo is installed in the bootsector of my main VL install.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:38:40 am »

I never got EasyBCD to work for me. I had to install grub to manage win7/VL and chainload through lilo on VL.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
kodejunky

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »

To remove grub you would need to get easy bcd from http://download.cnet.com/EasyBCD/3000-2094_4-10556865.html?tag=mncol;1 .Easy bcd works only on windows that I know of so you will need a second computer and a Sata to USB found here http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=sata+to+usb&_sacat=See-All-Categories . Once you have these items take out the hard drive with the linux Grub on it connect it to your sata to usb.In windows go to start-->control panel--->Administrative tools-->Computer Management-->storage---Disk Management it will show the harddrives connected.Find the one with Grub on it right click on it select Delete volume on all partitions.Then repartition the drive using the rick click menu and format.Now your harddrive connected to the sata to usb will show up.Open easy bcd go to change settings and  on the bottom where it says Drive C:\ change it to the letter your computer assigned to the hard drive connected to the sata to usb.Next go to Manage Bootloader and make sure Reinstall the Vista Bootloader is selected  and that file (your letter)D:E:F:G:\Boot\Recovery.bcd matches the sata to usb letter...then click on Write to MBR.Reinstall windows from your dvd/cd once it is finished reboot into your windows dvd/cd and click on repair computer .There should be a choice after it scans to open up command prompt.Open command prompt and type bootrec.exe /fixmbr reboot and windows should boot as normal.as for ubuntu working with Windows 7 it did for me.Hope this help Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: