Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Does a service in /etc/rc.d have to be executable in order to run at startup?  (Read 1542 times)

eco2geek

Newbie question: Does a service in /etc/rc.d have to be set as executable in order to be run at runlevel 2 or 4?

I use VASM to set which services I want started at which runlevels, but I'm a bit confused. From what I can tell, the individual files in /etc/rc.d have to both be set as executable and set as services to run at a specific runlevel. Is that correct?

(For example, why isn't /etc/rc.d/rc.cups set as executable in VL7 by default?)

pierce.jason

• Packager
  • Vectorite
For the user-configurable services presented to you in VASM, you will want to look under /etc/rc.d/init.d (symlinked from /etc/init.d also).

When you enable one of these scripts in VASM, it creates 2 symlinks in the rc#.d directory that corresponds to the runlevel you have selected. For example when enabling gpm for runlevel 2, VASM will create a symlink from /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S91gpm and /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/K8gpm pointing to /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm.

For any startup scripts named rc.something residing directly under /etc/rc.d/, these will need to be +x inorder to run at startup. In addition to needing to be +x, they have to be called from within one of rc.S(single-user), rc.M(multi-user), or rc.X(xorg).
pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)

eco2geek

Thank you, that made it pretty clear.