VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 02:01:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing buffer size for K3B  (Read 4641 times)
boris

« on: December 20, 2006, 06:29:23 am »

My K3B in Vector Linux SOHO 5.1 refused to copy an ordinary CD with the message "Cannot write image file - not enough space in temporary directory"

As it turned out, the /tmp directory was used as a mount pint for an artificially created "tmpfs" file system. This file system was defined in /etc/rc.d/rc.tmpfs - a mere 128M in size, and mounted on /tmp.

I commented out the mounting command in this file (so that now this "rc.tmpfs" is essentially doing nothing), now K3B is working as it should.

I am not sure, maybe this post belongs more to the "bugs" section, but let those folks who have problems duplicating CD's, get a simple way around their problems.

Best wishes
BNK

One skeptical donkey used to say: "You may scream 'Honey! Honey!" as loud as you can - it won't make sweet in your mouth..."
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:55:20 am »

Boris,

This isn't a bug in k3b or in any other CD burning program. Rather, it's a known side effect of enabling the tmpfs file system, in which the tmpfs file system "works as designed." To clarify the side effect, if you enable the tmpfs file system, your /tmp directory will exist in RAM, not on your hard drive. Once the /tmp directory in RAM has been filled, there's no more temporary space to use.

This topic has been discussed several times with the consensus being not to use tmpfs if you don't have to. ;-) While tmpfs might be great on a machine with loads of RAM, I don't recommend using it on most boxes.

FWIW,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:40:18 pm »

I hope I'm not overkilling the thread, but I've had the same problem with Graveman too. I Guess I'll disable tmpfs.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:57:53 pm »

While tmpfs might be great on a machine with loads of RAM, I don't recommend using it on most boxes.

Define "loads of RAM." I have 1.5 gigs on one system, 1 gig on another, and 768 megs on my laptop. I have tmpfs on the two desktops. Am I okay or should I avoid tmpfs?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 10:05:19 pm »

Well, I have about 1.5Gb on my server box and have had issues with tmpfs so it's disabled now on 3 of 4 of my VL installs (haven't messed with my wife's laptop as VL is there but she doesn't use it...yet). OTH if you've never had your machine(s) complain of temporary space being unavailable then it may never be an issue for you.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:40:33 pm »

OTH if you've never had your machine(s) complain of temporary space being unavailable then it may never be an issue for you.

I haven't, but maybe I just haven't done anything that used up all the tmp space. I've compiled programs and burned CDs but haven't copied CDs. It's good to know that the problem may come up and how to fix it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: