VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 10:54:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera-10.63 Caught in the Act  (Read 1197 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: November 16, 2010, 07:21:49 pm »

I just caught the culprit in the act which causes a mess with the icons:

IT IS opera 10.63.

I installed it in my home directory and when it had finished the icons could
not open any longer as described in my post "Broken gtk ?". Quickly deleted this opera version
and restored my icons by copying all the hidden directories from the
new user to my old /home/user.

Beware of the new Opera!!!

I thought to post this here as well as it might get overlooked under X-Rated.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:51:08 pm by Pita » Logged
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:27:05 pm »

Posting this and getting it noticed are good ideas. What about editing so that Opera  10.63 appears in the topic?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:37:12 pm »

I have Opera 10.63 installed in VL 6 Light and VL6 SOHO Deluxe on four different computers. None of them have any problems with icons or anything else. There must be something peculiar to your system if indeed Opera is the cause.

It is installed system-wide on my computers, as is every other program. I downloaded the Slackware version of Opera 10.63 from opera.com and installed it with the script that comes with the expanded download. The default location is /usr/local and I didn't change it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »

Opened my VL6SOHO box which shares the home directory with my working box
VL6-STD. Installed opera-10.63 in home directory.

All worked well in SOHO. Icons are there at all.

Got out of SOHO and started VL6-STD and icons are lost and programs like
thunar or gedit crash. Huh Huh

I think this is what happened the first time. I installed opera in SOHO and then
had the problem in VL6STD and could not explain why.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »

Are you sharing /home as the same user? That might be the source of your problems. I have read that sharing /home with different distros or versions as the same user can cause problems because files may be changed according to which system you boot to. See what happens if you create a directory as a new user with Standard. This directory should have no connection with your home directory in SOHO. Do the icons disappear?

If not, you could copy over some of your data and configurations from your SOHO home directory.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:36:47 pm »

Are you sharing /home as the same user? That might be the source of your problems. I have read that sharing /home with different distros or versions as the same user can cause problems because files may be changed according to which system you boot to. See what happens if you create a directory as a new user with Standard. This directory should have no connection with your home directory in SOHO. Do the icons disappear?

If not, you could copy over some of your data and configurations from your SOHO home directory.
--GrannyGeek

Yes my /home/user directory in SOHO is the same as in STD, yes it is shared.

Now I installed opera in STD in the /home/new-user whose user is not in SOHO
and the icons disappeared. 
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 04:40:21 pm »

Now there is a new twist. I just discovered that opera-10.62 is installed in my home directory /home/user/etc.
I have no recollection how it got there. ( Embarrassed Embarrassed). I can open it w/o any problems and will use it now
for testing. I recall that the first 10. version had some problems with rendering pages properly. I think that's
why I went back to the 9. version.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:46:17 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »

Now there is a new twist. I just discovered that opera-10.62 is installed in my home directory /home/user/etc.
I have no recollection how it got there. ( Embarrassed Embarrassed). I can open it w/o any problems and will use it now
for testing. I recall that the first 10. version had some problems with rendering pages properly. I think that's
why I went back to the 9. version.

False alarm. It was not installed I run it out of the unpacked. When I finally
installed it it caused the same problem.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »

Perhaps your computer is haunted.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 01:11:46 am »

Perhaps your computer is haunted.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Now you really scare me. Huh Huh Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: