VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:12:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: install failure on gateway solo 1450  (Read 2493 times)
smelm0

« on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:02 am »

laptop:celeron 1.3 , intel 830m graphics, 256 ram
tried v6 and 5.8 without success. seems to stall on adaptec raid controller entry of boot screen. can't seem to boot current ver. of lucid puppy either. running xp home edition at present . looking for guidance.
thanks
mike
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:42:04 am »

Please post the name make and model of laptop

Bigpaws
smelm0

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »

Please post the name make and model of laptop

Bigpaws

dear bigpaws
as I stated  in my first post:it's a gateway laptop solo 1450 celeron 1.3, 830m intel graphics card and 256 ram
mike
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:15:11 am »

There are some cheat codes you can enter on startup that may help.
On the first screen where it asks you to press Enter to continue, type in:
Code:
linux noacpi noapic nopcmcia noagp vga=normal
and press Enter. If you are using VL6 Std or SOHO, the command would be:
Code:
gui noacpi noapic nopcmcia noagp vga=normal

There are other codes to try, but these would be a good start. Post back with your findings.
smelm0

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:26:49 am »

same difference nighflier
v6 light just hangs on boot at:
detecting adaptec I20 raid controllers. v5.8 light seems to be heading to login screen but instead cd stops and screen remains black.

btw, peppermint os up and running on this laptop at present. have used vector previously without this type issue. weird...

thanks again mike
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:48:12 am »

Possible workaround: Try a Live version of VL6. If it boots, you can try the installer from within that environment. The installer in KDE-Classic Live is a little more refined than the one in Light, but KDE is much heavier than IceWM.
smelm0

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:24:54 pm »

dear nightflier
I am using a live cd of v6 and a live cd of 5.8. I also tried the v6 gold I recall with similar boot hangup. any other ideas?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »

Okay.. so all the versions you have tried on this machine are LiveCD's, no "install-only" versions?
smelm0

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »

that is correct.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 04:38:37 am »

Favoring the trial and error method, my suggestion is to test a traditional, non-live version.
VL-Light and KDE-Classic use a simple text-only installer, VL-Std. uses a graphical one.
smelm0

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:48:54 am »

how do I text install and then run kde?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12:45 am »

Download and burn the KDE-Classic iso: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-KDE-Classic.iso

Boot from the CD and follow the prompts of the installer. Note that you will need an available partition on your hard drive. This partition will be formatted and all files on it deleted to make room for the new install. One of the last steps is to install the LILO boot loader. It is pretty good about detecting and adding other operating systems, but not perfect. If you already have a boot loader and know how to add entries to the menu, you may skip the LILO installation.

You can also skip LILO installation and use the CD to boot it. Post if you want to try that route.
smelm0

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 01:34:52 pm »

did kde ver 6 as you suggested but same old same old. not sure this ol' gateway likes vector. she does like peppermint though. I guess it's all about the candy. peppermint is nice and much faster than ubuntu but I think vector is a bit faster and a bit more stable . I even had trouble with puppy which runs in ram and is usually the quickest and easiest to install. only had success with macpup however. other versions likewise hung.
well, I'm not sure where we can move next. maybe someone else on the forum has a different idea or approach...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 02:40:29 pm »

I don't have anything else to suggest at this moment, except use what works for you. I understand that Peppermint is pretty fast and complete.
smelm0

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 02:58:33 pm »

in any event, thanks for trying
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: