VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 01:07:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: building package with sbbuilder query  (Read 693 times)
davidlondonuk

« on: November 21, 2010, 01:14:41 am »

Hi,

I'm want to build the arno-iptables-firewall v2 package for VL6 std. It looks easy enough apart from the package uses install.sh & uninstall.sh scripts to install and uninstall to /usr/local/ (not ./configure;make etc) and needs to start at boot with a sysv script in init.d (which comes with the package).

I'm not sure how the sysv startup/shutdown scripts work on vector, what is the relationship between the files in /etc/rc.d and /etc/rc.d/init.d?

Does the sbbuilder script need to include the uninstall.sh script in someway for removal of the package?

Thanks for any help,

David
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:50:31 am »

sbbuilder will not be able to help you on that one. If the package includes it's own (un)install scripts, that usually means as you found out, that it builds and installs using some other un-common method. sbbuilder works with standard things like autotools, cmake, python, etc. With that said, if you wish to install this anyway, you would have to use their scripts. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind.
Vector installs things to /usr/ not /usr/local/
The startup/shutdown scripts are in /etc/rc.d/ and the services stuff is in /etc/rc.d/init.d

Installation and removal of this package will not be supported by slapt-get or gslapt, so you'll have to manually remove it if anything goes south.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:36 pm »

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind.
Vector installs things to /usr/ not /usr/local/
The startup/shutdown scripts are in /etc/rc.d/ and the services stuff is in /etc/rc.d/init.d

I haven't found that /usr rather than /usr/local makes much, or any, difference.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
davidlondonuk

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »

Thanks Moe & Granny.

I don't think installing to /usr/local is a problem and it separates out user builds from the distribution packages which is a good idea.

I am thinking if I create a basic makefile with install & uninstall sections I could use sbbuilder with the --normal switch and that should get around using the packages install/uninstall scripts?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:10:54 am »

You're right... you wont notice any difference because both /usr/ and /usr/local should be in your $PATH, but vector doesn't install anything to /usr/local by default.

@ Davidlondonuk
If you manage to build the package and compress it into a .tlz|.tgz|.txz, then you can install it using `installpkg <pkgname>`, in which case, you may safely remove it using `removepkg <pkgname>`

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: