VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 06:23:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is Celeron sufficient for SOHO edition?  (Read 704 times)
droid

« on: November 20, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

I'm planning on installing VectorLinux on a Compaq Deskpro with a 500MHz Intel Celeron CPU, 512MB of RAM and a maximum video resolution of 1280 x 1024 with 16.7M colors.  The system requirements for the SOHO and Deluxe editions of VL specify a Pentium III or greater processor. I recall that many people consider a Celeron to be < than a Pentium III.  What say you?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:43:13 pm »

I would not want to run SOHO on that class machine. I'd go for VL6 Light or Standard.

The Celeron is basically a "value edition" of the Pentium. A 500 MHz one is P3 class.
droid

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »

I would not want to run SOHO on that class machine. I'd go for VL6 Light or Standard.

The Celeron is basically a "value edition" of the Pentium. A 500 MHz one is P3 class.

Thanks for the answer,  nightflier.  How about a 451MHz AMD K6 with 512MB RAM?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:49:06 am »

Your K6 would be fairly close to the Celeron in terms of performance. The good thing about both those machines is the 512MB of RAM, which was quite a lot for that era.
droid

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:13:08 am »

Your K6 would be fairly close to the Celeron in terms of performance. The good thing about both those machines is the 512MB of RAM, which was quite a lot for that era.

Thanks for the replies nightflier!  So I will try VL6 Light or Standard.  Which of the two machines do you think would do the best job?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: