VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: is Celeron sufficient for SOHO edition?  (Read 844 times)

droid

is Celeron sufficient for SOHO edition?
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

I'm planning on installing VectorLinux on a Compaq Deskpro with a 500MHz Intel Celeron CPU, 512MB of RAM and a maximum video resolution of 1280 x 1024 with 16.7M colors.  The system requirements for the SOHO and Deluxe editions of VL specify a Pentium III or greater processor. I recall that many people consider a Celeron to be < than a Pentium III.  What say you?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: is Celeron sufficient for SOHO edition?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:43:13 pm »

I would not want to run SOHO on that class machine. I'd go for VL6 Light or Standard.

The Celeron is basically a "value edition" of the Pentium. A 500 MHz one is P3 class.

droid

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »

I would not want to run SOHO on that class machine. I'd go for VL6 Light or Standard.

The Celeron is basically a "value edition" of the Pentium. A 500 MHz one is P3 class.

Thanks for the answer,  nightflier.  How about a 451MHz AMD K6 with 512MB RAM?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:49:06 am »

Your K6 would be fairly close to the Celeron in terms of performance. The good thing about both those machines is the 512MB of RAM, which was quite a lot for that era.

droid

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:13:08 am »

Your K6 would be fairly close to the Celeron in terms of performance. The good thing about both those machines is the 512MB of RAM, which was quite a lot for that era.

Thanks for the replies nightflier!  So I will try VL6 Light or Standard.  Which of the two machines do you think would do the best job?