VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: FTP subdirectory under /home?  (Read 747 times)

RonB

• Vectorite
FTP subdirectory under /home?
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »

Just curious, what's the purpose of the FTP subdirectory under /home? Thanks.
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: FTP subdirectory under /home?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:58:06 pm »

See for yourself! That's where packages you download through slapt-get/gslapt are stored. It makes it easy to install those packages if you need to.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

RonB

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:12:46 pm »

See for yourself! That's where packages you download through slapt-get/gslapt are stored. It makes it easy to install those packages if you need to.

I knew they were packages. I just didn't see the point. For example, I've got three versions of Firefox there on this SOHO install, 3.6.10, 3.6.11 and 3.6.12. Is this kind of like Windows temporary files from updates -- so you can regress if you want to? Can they be safely deleted? Or is this something that shouldn't be messed with?

Thanks.
RonB

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:58 am »

Yes, yes, yes and "whatever you want".  ;)

To clear out old files, in Gslapt click Edit > Preferences > "Working Directory" tab > "Delete Cached Package Files" button.

RonB

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:58:25 pm »

Yes, yes, yes and "whatever you want".  ;)

To clear out old files, in Gslapt click Edit > Preferences > "Working Directory" tab > "Delete Cached Package Files" button.

Okay, thanks! I've just about run out of questions (for now).  I really do seem to stretch that "There is no dumb question" theory to its limits. But I'm learning quite a bit. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

I guess I do have one more question. Is the FTP subdirectory under /home a Slackware "thing?" Or is this unique to Vector?
RonB