VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 08:15:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux Core-Alpha-3.5 is up for testing  (Read 9294 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 22, 2010, 01:48:01 pm »

We have put up another alpha release for testing. We think this should be the last alpha and after testing and some discussion we should have the first beta of VL std 7.0 in short order. This release has a brand new kernel (2.6.35.7) that should fix the no usb mouse and keyboard in the installer issue that was found with the last release. Pygtk was rebuilt with numpy support, scribus was added, brasero was replaced with xfburn, Exaile was added which replaces smplayer, updated flashplayer and Opera to their latest, glx-dock is there with some working applets but is not turned on by default and lastly since no one seemed very pleased with the original gtk2 theme choice thats been changed too. We fixed a few other things under the hood like some vasm breakage and a few broken packages (cdparanoia for one). So lets give this a good solid test and please post any breakage found as well what maybe should be changed (package mix, theme etc) before we get into the beta waters. Here is the link to the iso:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA-3.5.iso

md5sum:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/ALPHA-3.5.md5sum

Happy testing and have fun!!

Cheers,
Vec
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:16:00 pm by vector » Logged
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »

How 'bout an md5sum?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »

How 'bout an md5sum?
Thanks for the reminder! I put it in the previous post.

Vec
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:42 am »

Did you upgrade the cmake package?

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »

yes its now 2.8.1 I believe.

Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »

yes its now 2.8.1 I believe.

Vec

I built 2.82 a while ago - should be in the vl7 testing repo (if you can get to it....).

I've had no luck with the new alpha - the install routine can't find my CD at all. I'll have to see if I can get some space on a partition and try installing from the iso itself. Its on the wrong machine at the moment though.

Paul.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »

I've had no luck with the new alpha - the install routine can't find my CD at all. I'll have to see if I can get some space on a partition and try installing from the iso itself. Its on the wrong machine at the moment though.

Paul.

Same experience here with  two machines that can't find the cd.  The third machine with older intel video graphics just goes blank right after the "Hold on Tight testing Graphics bit"
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »

Same experience here with  two machines that can't find the cd.  The third machine with older intel video graphics just goes blank right after the "Hold on Tight testing Graphics bit"
Ken

That exactly happens on the HP2133 Mini-Note. It even freezes. That should have not such an old video graphic?

No problem on my old desktop PC. And as usual my printers cannot be found
unlike in VL6SOHO. Doing alsaconf it claims it cannot find my graphic card, however, booting with webcam
unplugged alsamixer can be opened.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »

Same experience here with  two machines that can't find the cd.
Well I had not pretested for the CD as I always just use the iso image to install but I broke down and burnt a cd and as all of you reported no cd was found...........Sad. However, the good news is I found the problem seems with new kernels you need a newer udev system than we had been using and that of course also requires a newer glibc then was in the installer. So after updating udev and glibc guess what the cd was found. Hopefully the glibc update does not mess anything else up but I will upload a revised 3.5 alpha with new installer updates a bit later prolly be alpha-3.5.1. The reported problem with intel graphics may well be a kernel problem but I will tackle that later. You can still install alpha 3.5 if you keep a copy of the iso image on a partition that you are not going to install too the installer will pick that up.

Cheers,
Vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 11:13:02 pm »

alrighty vl7-core-alpha-3.5.1 is up cd installs should work now. I have links to both the full iso and an xdelta patch. Those of you familiar with xdelta prolly know the drill.......dl the patch then do xdelta patch nameofpatchfile (with the patch file being in the same folder as the original iso to be patched). Good luck and happy thanksgiving to all of you living in the USofA.
files:
the patch
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA3.5to3.5.1.delta
the full iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA-3.5.1.iso

good luck let me know how it goes!!

Cheers,
Vec
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 08:24:55 am »

Thanks for the "Happy Thanksgiving" and the update.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »

alrighty vl7-core-alpha-3.5.1 is up cd installs should work now. I have links to both the full iso and an xdelta patch. Those of you familiar with xdelta prolly know the drill.......dl the patch then do xdelta patch nameofpatchfile (with the patch file being in the same folder as the original iso to be patched). Good luck and happy thanksgiving to all of you living in the USofA.
files:
the patch
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA3.5to3.5.1.delta
the full iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA-3.5.1.iso

good luck let me know how it goes!!

Cheers,
Vec

Install went fine this time. Looks nice. One problem - no wireless drivers are loading, so no network connection.

Hardware is as below:

Code:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Con
nection (rev 61)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1011
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 31
Memory at df3fe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-21-5c-ff-ff-56-fd-65
Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
Kernel modules: iwlagn

(the driver listing is from Salix).

Paul.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 01:39:55 am »

bonjour!

Would rt2500 usb wifi card  work at wpa mode under vl7 core alpha 3.5.1 ?
if worked, i 'd make test install for daily work...
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 06:03:45 pm »

I had the same "can't find CD" problem with a3.5, though I did manage to get the CD recognized and the alpha installed after some flailing.

I had no CD recognition problems with a3.5.1. Big problem is that LILO cannot boot the other OSes on the computer (Windows 98SE, Windows XP SP3, VL6 Light, VL6 Standard, VL6 SOHO rc3, VL6 SOHO final free version, VL6 SOHO Deluxe). I think this is due to the partitions being identified as /dev/hdax, /dev/hdbx, /dev/hdex in earlier versions of VL and being identified as /dev/sdax, /dev/sdbx, etc., in VL7. I have LILO on floppy disks, so I have a floppy for VL7 and another for earlier VectorLinuxes. I had this problem with an earlier alpha and I think others have also reported it.

We spent a few days with our daughter's family for Thanksgiving, so I haven't had a chance to do much testing. My video, sound, and wired network are working. I'll report anything I find that's broken.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 12:10:01 am »

Would rt2500 usb wifi card  work at wpa mode under vl7 core alpha 3.5.1 ?
if worked, i 'd make test install for daily work...
Vincent it is supposed too so your testing would be great help to see if it does.
One problem - no wireless drivers are loading, so no network connection.
Paul I think incomplete firmware pkg I sent you a pm to try a new and improved version let me know if it works

My video, sound, and wired network are working. I'll report anything I find that's broken.
Thank you Granny!!

Folks I need more people to test I know a lot of you are recovering from the thanksgiving holiday but believe me this alpha will not harm your computer in anyway so please jump in!!!

Thanks,
Vec
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: