VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 07:00:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux Core-Alpha-3.5 is up for testing  (Read 9873 times)
Murdock

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 02:04:10 am »

Vec. Burning a cd .....and something else  Grin at the moment.
My main interests are multi function on a HP j4660 all in one and Skype. I'll let you know later in the day.

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:32:52 am »

I had the same problems with recognising any other partitions, they are with the set up, but don't show up on the Grub menu.  But it has great difficulty in setting up the video, I have a basic onboard nvidia graphic chip.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:24:49 am »

I burned 3.5 before leaving on a trip with a weekend layover. Was bummed when it didn't find the CD. Fortunately, the hotel internet connection is fast. Downloaded 3.5.1 in 6 min 30 seconds!  Grin

Boot from 3.5 CD and full install from 3.5.1 iso went without any problems. Posting from it now.
Main issue encountered: No wireless. I have a Linksys PCMCIA card with Broadcomm chipset:
Code:
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
When trying to bring it up I get error:
Code:
root:# ifconfig wlan0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
The b43 module is loaded according to lsmod. Device works in VL6.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

Paul I think incomplete firmware pkg I sent you a pm to try a new and improved version let me know if it works

Sad 'Fraid not. Still no sign of the wireless activity LED coming up, and wicd can't see any wireless networks.

Looking at the loaded modules, everything seems to be there (at least, compared to a working set). The wicd daemon is starting. I did find that /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless was not executable, whereas it is in VL6.0 light. Tried making it executable, but the problem is still there.

Paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 02:51:55 pm »

Having mentioned the important issue in my above post.. on to some observations:

GRUB menu: Only the selected line is visible. Pressing up/down arrow keys reveals the other options, but one can only see one at the time, and it is not obvious that they are there.

Splash screen: Just after the "udev" message, it drops to text mode (but still framebuffer), then returns to graphical when loading GDM. This is with an Intel Mobile integrated graphics card.

X: I chose default (no xorg.conf). No touchpad edge scrolling. Running vxconf enabled it.

Unless I remove the keycode lines in ~./Xmodmap, some of my keys (PgDn, Down arrow) do not act as I expect them to.

Cairo dock: When mousing over and getting "zoom", the original (smaller size one) stays visible in the background, resulting in a double image.

Inserting a USB stick results in automount.. good. Right-clicking desktop icon and selecting "unmount" works, but I'd prefer to see the icon disappear or change, indicating that it's safe to remove. Or, add a "safely remove" option.

Multimedia > Mixer has no icon.

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 08:19:45 pm »

toothandnail and nightflier would you run iwconfig in a terminal see if you guys are getting any kind of wireless interface or not. Trying to determine if this is a kernel problem or a tools problem i.e wicd.

Thanks,
Vec
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 11:30:40 pm »

Tried installing over a previous installation, reformating to ext4 over what was previously a ext4 formated install of soho6.0.  When I got to the user set-up section I was told that my username already existed.  So I thought I errored and tried it again.  This time choosing ext3.  Once again the installation failed to format the partition for the new install.  So I tried again, this time launching into gparted where I choose the partition and attempted to change it to ext3.  It failed with this error...
mkfs.ext3: error while loading shared libraries: libcom_err.so.2: cannot open shared oject file: NO such file or directory.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 11:53:34 pm »

Cairo dock: When mousing over and getting "zoom", the original (smaller size one) stays visible in the background, resulting in a double image.

Smiley I suspect you'll find its a lot more than a double image....

The problem is how Cairo Dock interacts with Xfce. It has its own autostart mechanisim, If Xfce is exited with the 'save session for future logins' box ticked, the next time you log into the system, two copies of Cairo Dock will start, and the next time, three copies....  Your best bet is to righ click on Cairo Dock, select quit and keep doing that until all copies are closed, then log out with the 'save' box ticked. On the next and subsequent logouts, make sure the 'save' box is unticked.

Must admit, while Cairo Dock is very pretty and does some pretty fancy things, I would much rather use Wbar - simple, light and functional....

Paul.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:59:39 pm by toothandnail » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »

toothandnail and nightflier would you run iwconfig in a terminal see if you guys are getting any kind of wireless interface or not. Trying to determine if this is a kernel problem or a tools problem i.e wicd.

Thanks,
Vec

As requested:

Code:
root:# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

Paul.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 12:51:44 am »

paul, can you try in a terminal dhcpcd wlan0 see if you get any response.

thanks,
Vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 01:02:24 am »

mkfs.ext3: error while loading shared libraries: libcom_err.so.2: cannot open shared oject file: NO such file or directory.
Stretchedthin, I found that too got it fixed will be done in next release should be quick

Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:55 am »

paul, can you try in a terminal dhcpcd wlan0 see if you get any response.

thanks,
Vec

As requested:

Code:
root:# dhcpcd wlan0
err, wlan0: timed out
err, wlan0: lease information file `/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-wlan0.info' does not exist
warn, wlan0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.137.83

That does bring up the wireless LED, but wicd still can't see any wireless networks.

Paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 06:00:59 am »

Hmm. I wondered if I might have been affected by the installer failing to format the partition, I've just reinstalled the alpha. I first wiped the partition from a Salix boot, then created a new ext4 file system. Then installed.

Didn't make any difference to the wireless problem. But it did bring up another problem - in the final stages of the install, when I tried to select the keyboard layout for the console, it went into an endless loop. I had to cancel in order to break the loop, and I've been left with the default US layout for console.

Paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 07:40:23 am »

Wicd sees no wireless networks. I quit wicd-client and killed wicd, then:

Code:
root:# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"linksys" 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

Code:
root:# ifconfig wlan0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Code:
root:# dhcpcd wlan0
err, wlan0: ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Code:
root:# lsmod | grep b43
b43                   162019  0
mac80211              170573  1 b43
cfg80211              123341  2 b43,mac80211
ssb                    41186  1 b43
mmc_core               49129  2 b43,ssb
pcmcia                 32408  2 b43,ssb
led_class               1883  1 b43
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:10 am »

Smiley I suspect you'll find its a lot more than a double image....

You're right, there were 4 or 5 of them!  Shocked
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: