VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 07:27:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux Core-Alpha-3.5 is up for testing  (Read 9282 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 09:12:33 pm »

Exaile consistently terminates after playing a music file for a very short time.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 09:19:44 pm »

Thanks for the MD5 toothandnail, now I know my download was ok. I'll try another burn and reinstall.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2010, 10:20:13 pm »

Exaile consistently terminates after playing a music file for a very short time.
Granny could you be more specific as to the type of music file? I have run exaile for hours playing podcast streaming radio stations with no problem. Maybe try running exaile from the terminal and when it quits might give you an error message that you can share.

Cheers,
Vec
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 01:08:51 am »

Right downloaded alpha-3.6 (saw it on the distrowatch page)

Installed without an xorg file - gave me a usable display but a large amount of black around the window to the left and right - fixed by altering my monitor settings.  Also does not pick up the United Kingdom local - so stuck with an American keyboard. 
Other than that so far so good.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 10:06:02 pm »

Granny could you be more specific as to the type of music file? I have run exaile for hours playing podcast streaming radio stations with no problem. Maybe try running exaile from the terminal and when it quits might give you an error message that you can share.

I ran Exaile today from the command line, so of course the termination didn't happen.<g> I played the stream from kusc.org for an hour. Everything was fine. Then I played some .mp3 music from my computer for a couple of hours. No problems with that, either.

I will continue testing to see if I can trigger the disappearance. Perhaps it's an interaction with some other program that I didn't use today, or maybe the ever-responsible gremlins.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:44 pm »

If I leave the screensaver on random, the computer will be locked up by morning.  Not sure which screensaver is causing the problem or if it is OpenGL related. Maybe someone else has noticed this?
When we get to the release candidate stage maybe the random feature can be turned off, so a new user does not experience the problem and imagine the worst.

This appears to have happened to me overnight. I left the computer on all night but in the morning, neither the keyboard nor mouse responded and I had to turn off the computer.

I turn off the monitor when I won't be using the computer for a while, but of course the screensaver will still run according to its settings.
--GrannyGeek

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2010, 08:06:22 pm »

A few observations, some new and some confirming what others have found.

Tried to do a text-based install but the installer couldn't find the CD on any of the three PCs I tested (P3 and P4 with IDE drives) though 6.0 Gold could find the CD on them all. So in the end I installed using the GUI installer which found the CD.

I had trouble using the partitions created in GParted though, the installer refused to mount them. It wouldn't accept partitions made in cfdisk either and I ended up creating partitions using a DOS-based version of Partition Magic which were accepted OK. Strange. I also got a message saying that my user name already exisited when trying to install over an existing installation, as if the partitions were not being reformatted by the installer.

For the first install I used grub, which is the default, but when I rebooted I got a message saying something like "You need to load the kernel first" and couldn't get any further. Not being a grubber I reinstalled and chose lilo, which worked OK.

My video card wasn't set up right (nVidia GeForce4) and I got the "System has no X clients" message and ended up in an xterm session. I logged into the TUI and tried to set up X using vxconf and it worked one time but not another. Maybe that's just me. I re-ran vxconf and chose Vesa so that I could carry on testing.

Got on the internet easily using the NIC (I've no wireless) and installed a few packages using Gslapt: firefox, thunderbird, grsync, nano, wine, xarchiver. All went ok except no menu icon for Xarchiver. Audacity is in the repos but wouldn't install as it has a missing dependency: needs pixman>=0.18.2 but version installed is 0.16.6.

Finally I compiled easytag and keepassx from source and installed truecrypt from its own installer. No problems with them.

I haven't used the system too much yet, but it's looking pretty good so far.
Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: