VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 09:14:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux Core 7 Alpha4 is up and ready to test  (Read 42303 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2011, 12:42:36 am »

I do not have any jfs partitions.

The partition I want to install to is reiserfs formated.

all partitions mount properly including VL7 which shows all the installed
files. du gives 1180649. The partition has 9 Gig.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2011, 03:17:09 pm »

I've been seeing so many odd problem reports with the point updates to alpha 4 that I decided not to wait for the first beta and to install VL7 4.15 and see how smoothly it went.

Bad news: After the installation completed I could not boot into the new installation with the installation CD. When I type
linux root=/dev/sda7 ro
I don't get booted into my alpha 4.15 installation. Instead, I get the start of the installation with no option to boot into my new alpha 4.15.

On this computer I do not install LILO to the MBR. I use a floppy disk. However, there is no option to install LILO to a floppy disk during installation. I have to run VASM, lilo after I reboot into the installation with the CD. But that won't work with a4.15, so I can't get into the installation at all. I have booted into various VectorLinux installations with the CD for years and I don't recall getting these results in all these years. This is a disaster!

The other odd thing was that when I first was about to go into the GUI installer, I chose 1280x1024 for my resolution (I have an LCD monitor with 1280x1024 and 60 Hz as the defaults). However, the monitor went black and the monitor's message about Not Optimum Resolution (1280x1024, 60 Hz or something like that), was moving across the screen. I had to reboot with the power button and chose 1024x768 for the installer's resolution and didn't have that problem and was able to complete the installation.

Is there any solution to the problem of booting with the CD or am I out of luck until the next release, when I hope it will be fixed?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2011, 03:21:30 pm »

Is there any solution to the problem of booting with the CD or am I out of luck until the next release, when I hope it will be fixed?
--GrannyGeek
the only one I know of would be to boot it with a VL6 cd.
Sorry about that, I knew about it but have not got around to fixing it yet.
I'll get right on it.

Thanks for testing,
Uelsk8s
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2011, 05:13:19 pm »

There seem to be significant changes between the point releases. Alpha 4.10 went ok for me, 4.12 wouldn't give me a desktop even in VESA, 4.15 boots to the desktop perfectly again. Thankfully all the early problems with getting the text installer to run and the partitions made in the GUI installer have been squashed and things are looking good generally. But it must be really hard moving things forward when a change in one place seems to mess things up in another.

Is it only me or does anyone else think that X is the biggest source of problems plaguing Linux distros in general? In fifteen years of installing Windows I have never - never - not got to a workable GUI after the installation completes. If MS can manage this why can't Linux? Well, I'm not a programmer so I don't know the answer and can't offer any help, so perhaps I shouldn't criticise!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2011, 06:43:02 pm »

the only one I know of would be to boot it with a VL6 cd.

I'll try first with my VL7 a4 CD. I hope it'll work--I'm eager to see what has changed.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2011, 11:09:01 am »

New iso is up: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA-4.16.iso
This is essentially the same as 4.15, the only change is the ability to boot an installed system from the cdrom.
It still identifies itself as 4.15

I have done my best to keep the deltas small between the last releases so if you have slow connection, I suggest using the deltas located in the  http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/ directory.

I think we are pretty close to a Beta release at this point.

Thank you all for the testing you have done.

Uelsk8s
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2011, 11:23:25 am »

After Alpha.4.6 I can't install any longer *.8, *.10, *.12.

After 'Installation complete' it says
'Preparing boot menu....
and then a window pops up saying:

....unexpected error und must abort
[45] File or directory does not exist
MdlMain.?.0

When I then quit the consoles shows a lot of seg faults trying to access
/etc/rc.d/rc.* files.

I had the partition ckecked for bad blocks and none were found.

This is an iso installation. My CDRom is read only and the new R/W
I bought does not find an install disk. I still try to figure that one out.

Pita
we are still trying to work this out.
can you boot the installer, close the installer, open a terminal and run "./vinstall-ng.gambas -C"
the installer will reopen in config mode.
from there you need to choose the iso you originally installed from and the / partition you installed to.
then the installer will attempt to reconfigure the system.
if it fails at the same point I will need you too run "chroot /mnt/target" and then "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"
if that finishes without error then run "grub-install /dev/sda" ##Make sure /dev/sda is where you want the grub mbr written##

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2011, 12:13:04 pm »

I managed to boot into my a4.15 installation with the CD for alpha 4. It was sort of a mess because by default it boots to runlevel 4 and I had no keyboard or mouse working in X, so I couldn't run VASM to finish the configuration and had to use the power button to get out. Then I booted from the CD into runlevel 2 and had keyboard support and was able to finish the configuration with VASM. However, when I did startx I got into the desktop but again had no keyboard or mouse. So I got out through the power switch, rebooted into runlevel 2, and set up keyboard and mouse in VASM. This time they worked. I also ran alsaconf again because my soundcard was not detected on my first attempt. This is very unusual, as this system has been very Linux friendly in all the years I've had it. Sound is working now. Keyboard and mouse are USB, if that has anything to do with them not working until I set them up individually in VASM.

I couldn't set up LILO through VASM because it complained there was no vmlinuz file. The same was true in alpha 4. I made a symlink in /boot, reran VASM-LILO, and was able to create a LILO boot floppy.

I'm writing this in Firefox from alpha 4.15.

I'm getting much better glxgears scores in 4.15 than I get in alpha 4.

I'll burn a CD for 4.16 and see if I can boot into my 4.15 installation with it.

I'm really looking forward to beta 1.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »

The CD I made for a4.16 did work to boot me into my VL7a4.15 partition. I didn't install 4.16, just booted with it.

A successful boot, but...
For some unknown reason, my XFce was totally messed up. No icons were showing. I could not change the background image. I did VASM, skel to restore to defaults, but still no icons and the background was unchangeable.

I didn't know what else to do, so I booted into VL7 a4, which has been working well enough to use it all the time (which I do). I do need Inkscape, however, and hope it will be available for VL7 soon.

If anyone knows how I can fix XFce a4.15, let me know and I'll give it a try. For now, I'm back to a4 and will stick with it until beta1 unless we get an a4.17 (hope not!).
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »

On further inspection it showed that in VL7-A4.15 /boot was empty. I then put the
necessary files into it kernel-2.6.33.4 and was able to boot into this version. Then
it became clear that contrary to the installers claim of 100 % installation lots of files
were not installed.
There was beside no kernel, no X, mc, slapt-get, xfce4, etc. etc.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »

On further inspection it showed that in VL7-A4.15 /boot was empty. I then put the
necessary files into it kernel-2.6.33.4 and was able to boot into this version. Then
it became clear that contrary to the installers claim of 100 % installation lots of files
were not installed.
sounds like maybe a bad burn or a bad download?
did you check the md5sums?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2011, 12:17:39 am »

were not installed.

No I did not check the md5ums since I can open the iso file with mc as well
as mount it, therefore I assume it is good.
I can't burn R only CD drive.

I was now able to install all files. Booting into VL7A15  mouse and KB on the console
working well, however, I can't make them work in xfce4.
Did all the configuring with vxconf copied even my VL6 xorg.conf over.
No dice.
On booting it says ....alsa  [OK] yet alsaconf cannot find my sound card.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2011, 09:09:25 am »

No I did not check the md5ums since I can open the iso file with mc as well
as mount it, therefore I assume it is good.
I can't burn R only CD drive.

Don't assume because you can open the iso that it is good!
md5sum the iso and be certain.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2011, 09:49:15 am »

Don't assume because you can open the iso that it is good!
md5sum the iso and be certain.
Indeed, I have seen mc happily open tar.gz, tar.bz2, etc. files that turned out to have errors when actually extracted.

EDIT: Tried A4.14 and FWIW (I see 4.16 is there!), it doesn't want PAE anymore, but the mouse doesn't work when it gets to the installer. I tried to go on with the keyboard, but you can't select the partition when it gets to that step.

Are the discussions on the iso problems going on on IRC? Because I don't see them here nor on the devel list, nor announcements for a lot of the isos either.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:19:54 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »

Most of the discussion of the problems have been on irc.

Bigpaws
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: