VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 12:56:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux Core 7 Alpha4 is up and ready to test  (Read 42291 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:50 pm »

Hi everyone,
Sorry to do this to you but I need to try out one more alpha before we start the beta stage. We had multiple problems with the 3.6 release mostly due to an upgrade to the installers  core system to accomodate the latest kernel releases. Hopefully the install will go without problems this time and I added a few updated packages like xscreensaver, grip to rip cd's/dvd's, and a few other core programs. Wicd, the network manager should work correctly now as well as the keytboard setting problems. I added a few new twists to the overall theme of things, interested to hear any reactions...............Smiley. I know I have thrown a lot of releases at you lately but I would like the final stages to be pretty damn perfect so the betas rc's should be quick and painless. Thank you very much for taking the time to test............looking forward to your results..comments

Cheers,
Vec
download link:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-CORE-ALPHA-4.iso
md5sum:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7-CORE-ALPHA4.md5sum
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:34:51 am »

Is this the same as the one I tried yesterday? The md5sum isn't found, so I've not been able to check the iso I've already downloaded.....

Apart from the problem with the keyboard layout (not tried your fix yet), everything else seems to be working quite well.

Paul.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:56:33 am »

The text-based installer still can't find the CD drive in either PC I tried out, but the GUI installer can. GParted now correctly makes the partitions and the installer can use them, a problem for me in 3.51. I don't get dumped into xterm any more and grub now works for me, previously I had to use lilo. So, apart from not finding the CD it's looking good.
Cheers
Andy
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 10:22:44 am »

Initial test: Booted from CD. Installer found both CD and ISO on drive. Installed from CD to /dev/sda2.

Issue 1: "unable to probe for other operating systems..." (I have VL6 installed on /dev/sda1 using XFS).
Accepted the failsafe grub install. "Error: Failsafe ;31mlibhardware (EIDE) directory /proc/ide iesistente ! [37m/dev/sda".
Reboot showed old LILO in place, but.. booted VL6, ran vliloconf. Did not find VL7. Mounted sda2 and made symlink vmlinuz in "boot", pointing to kernel. After that vliloconf did find it and added to menu.
Upon reboot I got just a string of "9A's".
Booted VL7 from CD, ran LILO install and now it all works fine.

Issue 2: Installer failed just after filling out information on regular user. After reboot no user created. Rest of config completed. Added user manually and now system is running okay.

Funny: PNG images open with Xine. I never knew it would do that.
ajt

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:36:34 pm »

´╗┐VectorLinux Core 7.0 Alpha 4 is worth the extra time!  Smiley Smiley
Vec no apologies necessary. You need to be proud of this release.
From what I can see and as far as satisfying my needs, Vec and others involved have hit all the marks. Thank you all! What worked before is working now and I can see you all have worked hard to improve what needed improving. This new full-featured desktop really looks great. The desktop is certainly stylish and people coming from Windows or Apple will feel very comfortable with it. It is easy to see that Alpha-4 was carefully worked-out. It displays the kind of polish that really makes it shine. Among other out of the box treats the resolution was just right for my video card, flash worked and I was able to watch a DVD. I still remember when Nvidia drivers required me to kill X Windows and run a console script. Firefox was very,very sluggish. After running the updates and performing my usual tweaks Firefox it is still slow, but acceptable. I have used Vector pretty regularly for many years. Despite the occasional annoyance Vector has been solid and improves with each release. The best compliment I can give this release is that I'm running it now and will be using it every day. It now rests on the only partition to the hard drive of my main desktop. I am sure after trying it many others will do the same. You have once again outdone yourselves and in my mind, hold the title as one of the best new user distributions available. For the past few months I have routinely checked the forum and downloaded each release and tested it. I was worried that Vector had reached a pinnacle and would not be as active as in the past. I was wrong. With the release of Alpha-4 it is plain to see Vector is still strong and getting better, greater and faster than all of the previous versions. It's both difficult and time consuming to improve upon something that is already excellent. Thank you again for all your successful efforts and my early Christmas present. Grin No one should be disappointed with the end result.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:31:33 pm »

Downloaded and installed proprietary nvidia driver for my GF 240 video card. Noticable speed increase. Smiley

Cairo dock: I click the icon for Graphics and try the ones in the pop-up. Inkscape, Gimp and F-spot, they all bounce but nothing happens.

Display: Fonts are fuzzy, not as sharp as in VL6 KDE3.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:05:45 pm »

Couple notes on alpha 4. 
Will not work on my on laptop with Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01), graphics.  Works on my other machines, but on on this one right after the "hold on tight testing X bit, it just goes to a black screen.

I've also noticed on any qt app that I install the text that appears on roll-overs (ie, mouse rolls over an item that generates some pop up text), is nearly invisible as text is a very light yellow on a white background.

also I get the following error when trying to run dvdstyler, which I had running just fine on the previous verison.

Code:
Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 2.8 (no debug,ANSI,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.6),
and wxNet used 2.8 (no debug,Unicode,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.6).
Aborted
even after re-building the wxGTK dependency on the new alpha, I still get the same error.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:25:16 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »

I've also noticed on any qt app that I install the text that appears on roll-overs (ie, mouse rolls over an item that generates some pop up text), is nearly invisible as text is a very light yellow on a white background.

See if this helps. Run qtconfig and on the first screen, under GUI Style select Desktop Settings (Default). By default, qtconfig seems to come up with GTK+ . Maybe this should be changed, devs?

I had the same problem with Scribus 1.3.9 and couldn't read the tooltips until I changed qtconfig to Desktop Settings. That fixed it right away. I hope it does for you, too.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:25 pm »

I'm writing this from Opera in VL7 alpha4. Installation went smoothly. I had no problem creating a user during installation.

I can't get LILO to work. I want to install on a floppy disk but when I run LILO in VASM, I get this message:
Cannot find kernel (vmlinuz). Aborting LILO install.

I'm booting with the installation CD. I see a vmlinuz-2.6.35.7 file in /boot but no symlinks as there are in /boot of my VL7 a3.5.1 partition. I may try to copy a couple of files from that partition to VL7 a4 but am a little scared to mess with it.

My glxgears scores are worse than they've been on any VectorLinux I've ever used. I have a Radeon 9200 card with 128 megs. I use the xorg radeon driver; ATI doesn't have an updated driver for this old card. I'll compare xorg with what's on my VL7 a3.5.1 partition and see if I can spot some differences.

I've installed a bunch of stuff (OpenOffice, SoftMaker Office, Tuxcards, among others) which seems to be working, though I haven't done much beyond starting them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 03:51:57 pm »

See if this helps. Run qtconfig and on the first screen, under GUI Style select Desktop Settings (Default).

That did the trick Granny, thanks.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 07:14:35 pm »

Tried on secondary, older machine (P4-3.0/3G, ATI radeon 8500). Install completed without issues. Smiley
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:42:15 am »

I'm seeing a GDM error every time the alpha is booted. As below:

Code:
gdm-binary[2091]: no suitable security token driver could be found

Doesn't seem to be doing any great harm, but it is consistent....

Paul.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 02:08:59 pm »

Looks better this time than the last alpha, uk keyboard up and running, no issues with not being able to start X.  etc.

However some issues with downloading aps, for example

osmo: Depends: libgtkhtml >= 2.11.1-i586-1vl70 is an error message in Gslapt - this is on a clean install of alpha 4

After downloading and installing osmo I get the following error when run from a console
lyn:$ osmo
osmo: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkhtml-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Frozen bubble gives the error in gslap of frozen-bubble: Depends: perl-gettext >= 1.05

But runs fine from the menu.

Inkscape and F-spot still show up in the dock under graphics when they are not there.

One small thing, the very nice mushroom wallpaper, isn't that copyright digitalblasphemy?  If is now released great, I rather like it.

BTW what has happened to VASMCC?

No gslapt way of installing NVidia graphics drivers as far as I can see...

RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:15 pm »

Running it now on a my Optiplex GX270 (2.8 Pentium 4). I have to boot from the CD (because I'm using an older version of Grub that can't work with 256 "something or others" in ext3 -- but that was expected). I got a kernel panic on the first boot, but afterward everything went fine and the error hasn't returned. [I'm sorry I didn't write it down.] Everything seems to be slick and fast on this machine. Cairo is kind of "iffy" at this point. The Graphics button brings up Inkscape, F-Spot and Gimp, but now doesn't open any of these. (At first it opened Gimp.) Firefox works fine from Cairo, as does the Terminal, Galculator, Pidgin, Show Desktop, Exaile and the volume setting -- though I had to go to the top panel to shut off "mute" on the sound. The weather applet is not working yet, but I chalk that up to my stupidity. I'm also having trouble getting the home folder to work. It comes up with "Open this folder" but it never opens.  Also, I often have double images when I "zoom" on the button in Cairo. So, at least on my computer, Cairo still seems "not quite there."

Upgrade was quick and easy, now using Firefox 3.6.13. I like the cursor themes better than the other alpha I tried (Alpha 2, I think). I kind of like the background and login screen. Hulu ran well, even without proprietary nVidia drivers (unless they're now built in). [No, Hulu runs okay until I try full screen, so that's right for the "nv" driver as opposed to the proprietary nVidia driver.] So far sound has been good, video has been good. Pretty impressive for an alpha release. I'll have more comments after I've done some more testing. I'll probably have a computer available specifically for testing Vector Linux 7 soon. I like the fact that so much is looks and acts the same as Vector 6 -- even though it's a bit prettier. Once it's released and I move over to 7, I'll probably jettison Cairo, but I plan to keep and use it while testing. It looks like another great Vector release is coming up.

I figured out the "multiple images" in Cairo. Each time I logged out and back in, it appears that Cairo loaded another instance -- or maybe something else caused it. Four of them were open at once.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work.

I like the theme (light blue / gray), the simple and clean icon theme in Firefox, the new sound volume icon (I like the way it gets rid of the vertical bar) -- a lot of work has gone into making Vector Linux 7 look great. (Sorry to ramble here -- I just didn't want my first impression to seem negative.) I've tried all the music playing applications, everyone is working fine. Except for the few Cairo issues, I can't find much to report at all. I'm now looking forward to 7, and I'm not one who is always big on change. Again, great work. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:50:28 pm by RonB » Logged

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 05:21:42 pm »

´╗┐Firefox was very,very sluggish. After running the updates and performing my usual tweaks Firefox it is still slow,

That's odd. I've seen no slow down at all compared to VL 6. Do you make network.dns.disableIPv6 true? I always do that and it gets rid of the hitches in Firefox. (I realize that, sooner or later, I won't be able to do that, but it works well now.)

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: