VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: access windows area of HD in dual boot machine  (Read 2509 times)

alvey

access windows area of HD in dual boot machine
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:49:10 pm »

Hi I am a newbie to VL.  In other flavours of Linux that I have used, I can use the file manager to access files in the windows partition of the hard drive on a dual boot machine.  I cannot see this area (NTFS) on VL.  I guess I have to mount the windows drive (sda I think), but I don't know how to do this.  Can anyone help please?

Regards     alvey

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: access windows area of HD in dual boot machine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:17 pm »

Please tell us what version of VL you are using. Do you know if you selected vl-hot or HAL on install?

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »

Hi I am a newbie to VL.  In other flavours of Linux that I have used, I can use the file manager to access files in the windows partition of the hard drive on a dual boot machine.  I cannot see this area (NTFS) on VL.  I guess I have to mount the windows drive (sda I think), but I don't know how to do this.  Can anyone help please?

Did you run VASM to mount the drive?
VASM>>SUPER>>FILESYSTEM>>MOUNT>>ADD

Find your NTFS partition and go through the steps. Finish with FILESYSTEM>>MOUNT>>MOUNT to have the partition mounted when you quit VASM.

If  this doesn't work, post again and tell us what happens.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

alvey

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:52:27 am »

Thank you Granygeek, Nightflier.  I used VASM to mount the sd1 drive, and can now see the files.
Cheers.   
      Alvey