VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 01:07:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh install of VL 6.0 Kde-Classic. laptop won't shut off? [solved]  (Read 776 times)
iaintnoprophet

« on: December 08, 2010, 12:28:21 am »

Hi! I just installe VL 6.0 Kde-Classic Edition on an old aer travelmate 2480 (1.4GHz Celron, 512Mb RAM, 40Gb) and i am thouroughly impressed. The only issue I have so far is when i log out and click Turn Off Computer, it does everything but. the OS seems to shut down fine and then right when you'd think the laptop is going to turn off, the screen just goes black. I left it like this for over 30mins and nothing happened. I have to hold the power button down to turn it off. It will power down if I shut down from the log in screen though. any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:04:49 pm by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:10:54 am »

I'd recommend trying different boot options. At the boot selection screen, press the "Tab" key to edit options. First try all, or any combination of, the following:
acpi=off apm=off vga=normal

There are more options available, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Another option would be to try a newer kernel: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10385
iaintnoprophet

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

apm=off!!! Thank you so much! It was a minor problem but it's nice to have it solved now. Thanks again!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 07:04:32 pm »

Great! Glad it worked. Marking this thread as solved.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: