VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:48:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sunlight display  (Read 1356 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: December 11, 2010, 11:29:37 pm »

As most know, a few years back, Microsoft attacked Negroponte's One Laptop Per Child program.  Though severely wounded, the program apparently continues.  I bought one (two) of those X0 computers a few years back and while I didn't much like the computer (it truly was for kids), I sure liked the screen.  It could be easily read in broad daylight.

That (a screen that can be read outdoors) is the only thing that would make me think of replacing my beloved T42. And, best I can tell, likely because of Microsoft's attack, more recent versions of the XO are no longer for sale to the public.  Anyone know why Negroponte seems to be the only guy in the world who can make an affordable laptop with a screen that is easily readable outdoors?  Why a poverty stricken kid in Peru can use his computer in bright sunlight while rich Americans must use theirs indoors?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:59:40 pm »

Here's some info on that.

Due to the apparent resolution, everyone knows that (comparatively) rich Americans won't like it (right?). So surely you're wrong about liking the screen.

It goes to motivation. Why go to the trouble of making a physically larger screen cheaper, when your competitor will just produce at higher resolution at higher cost -- which is what all we who have money wish to spend it on, of course?

On the other hand, the one-word answer is even closer to the truth:

Drivers.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:56:21 am »

Being one of those "(comparatively) rich Americans" (someday I might have some money  Smiley ) I would really appreciate one of those screens. As it is, I have to draw heavy curtains across the windows or find a heavy (read hot!) tarp to block out the light when out doors.  In either case, I no longer get the enjoyment of the view.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: