VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 09:08:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XFce-Weather-Plugin went kaput? [Solved]  (Read 1092 times)
RonB
Vectorite

« on: December 12, 2010, 01:25:45 pm »

All the sudden the weather plugin quit working. Since the one in the repository (xfce-weather-plugin-0.6.2) no longer pulls in the weather, I had to download a Vector Linux package that someone compiled for version 0.6.3. This has been working fine. Then this afternoon it just died. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling -- several times and I always got the same result. It locked up when I tried to search for the location. So, I'm guessing, I've somehow gotten corruption in the configuration file -- does anyone know where I would find that file for this plugin?

I'll keep looking, but so far haven't found it.

Thanks for any pointers.

I found it. It was a corrupted configuration file. (How or why it got corrupted, I don't know.) It was under .config/xfce4/panel. Just deleted the file, reinstalled and set up the applet. At first I tested to see if I could load the applet in root -- when I could do that I knew it had to be corruption somewhere.

Sorry about posting here, again. I guess it must be the process of writing out the problem that allows me to figure out the solution. It's weird, post here and immediately figure out the problem. In the future I'm going to write these in a memo to myself and see if the "magic" works that way also. Honestly, I work on these problems for quite a while before posting.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:40:29 pm by RonB » Logged

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

I thought I'd mention that you can download widgets through the Opera browser. They can do lots of things. I installed Touch the Sky, which uses Accuweather for telling what the weather is in the location you set up, the forecast, some radar thing, and maybe more that I haven't looked into.

Once you get the widgets installed, you don't have to run Opera to use them. You can start them independently of any browser.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:48 pm »

I thought I'd mention that you can download widgets through the Opera browser. They can do lots of things. I installed Touch the Sky, which uses Accuweather for telling what the weather is in the location you set up, the forecast, some radar thing, and maybe more that I haven't looked into.

Once you get the widgets installed, you don't have to run Opera to use them. You can start them independently of any browser.

Didn't realize Opera had anything like that. Good to know. Apparently the server was down on the xfce weather plugin's site for a while yesterday (which, I'm guessing, is what started the whole issue). Once I got the plugin hooked up and working again, it went blank a little later. This time it wouldn't work in root either, but this morning it all came back up. I believe this plugin is also connected to Accuweather in some way. At any rate it's working okay now and I like it there in the panel. I clear away some of the other panel add-ons, like the "Quit" one to make room for it.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: