VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 01:28:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding new SATA drive for home  (Read 887 times)
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:57 pm »

I have two IDE drives in my desktop PC. The 40 GB drive is used for swap, root (hda2) and a couple of spare partitions for testing. The 80 GB drive has a single  partition (hdb1) which is used for home.

I'm going to buy a 500 GB SATA drive to replace the 80 GB IDE drive. For now I want to keep swap and root on the 40 GB drive, but when VL7 comes along I want to install it to the new drive. So I'm thinking of having swap, root, home plus one spare partition at the end of the 500 GB drive.

So my question is this. If I keep the 40 GB drive for now, do I just need to copy everything over from the home partition of the 80 GB drive into the new home partition and then change the entry in fstab (/dev/hdb1 /home ext3 defaults  0 2) to point to the new home in sda3? Any problems likely e.g because the old drive is IDE and the new one SATA.
Thanks
Andy
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »

That should be all you need. Don't forget to format the drive before
you put in place.

Bigpaws
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:53 am »

Thanks. Everything went ok. The only tricky bit was making sure that the file/folder ownerships and permissions on the new drive contents matched the old ones, and remembering to copy over the hidden files.
Andy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: