VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 06:18:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB hard drive install questions... AGAIN!  (Read 1429 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:57 pm »

I'm getting ready to install a 10 port usb hub in my big monster and then start hooking up the 7 or 8 hard drives to it with usb/ide adapters. Last time I hooked up a usb drive like this, I had problems, so before I aggravate myself... Does anyone know which way the jumpers on the hard drives should be set?

Should they all be set to master? Also, if I hook up a 10 port hub and 7 or 8 hard drives, what mount point would they most likely be found at?

This weekend I plan to tackle this long waiting project. I have most of the parts, but I have to copy data off many of the hard drives to my big windows box before letting them find their new home in my vector monster machine.

Thanks for any info/advice...

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:12:06 am »

The jumper settings don't matter when you use a USB adapter.

Mount points will depend on whether you use HAL or VL-Hot. VL-Hot will dynamically create something in /mnt/vl-hot. HAL may just show them in your file manager (assuming it has HAL support), then mount them on /media/something when you click on them.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:30:24 am »

The jumper settings may not affect the mount points, but they will affect whether the drives are recognised at all. I find that all drives need setting to master, but some have a jumper setting for "single master" so you should try this if "master with slave" doesn't work. If you set them to slave they won't be recognised.
Andy
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:16 am »

I would set all the jumpers to "master" just for assurance. I know i've had to do this with IDE-to-SATA adaptors, otherwise they dont work. But this may not be the case with USB.

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »

Thanks guys... I think the issue before was that I had the hard drive jumper set to CS or cable select. Windows saw the drive fine when I plugged it into my windows machine usb port... vector didn't see the drive till I switched the jumper to master...

So I suppose, I will be setting every drive to "MASTER" and then look for the drives in /mnt/vl-hot, I believe I'm using vl-hot. Worked before with one drive plugged in, but that was awhile ago. Tonight I may give it a go with a couple of drives and see what happens, but I have to work on the power supply a bit first... The AT power supply (which nightflier gave me) I have to shrinkwrap a few wires and tidy it up. It has 12 power plugs for hard drives coming off of
it now. The atx power supply is currently powering the motherboard and 4 hard drives on the motherboard ide controllers...

Like I said, it will be a monster if I ever finish this mess. Thanks for everyones advice, I'm pretty confident this will work now!

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:14:13 am »

I'm happy to report that the power supply is all fixed, and the 10 port hub is installed inside the case...

With 2 power supplies, this beast really hums... but it appears to be working great so far with 2 hard drives plugged into the 10 port hub... Both hard drives had the jumpers reset to master. I'm going to work on putting some more ide hard drives connected to the usb hub tonight. There are 4 hard drives currently on the mb ide controllers, 2 on the 10 port usb hub and I think I have 6 more around that I can install.

12 hard drives... and room for at least 6 more.. Awesome!

This case is going to be awfully heavy!

Steven

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 08:18:42 am »

HAHAHA...
Please give us updated pictures of this.

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:20:17 pm »

I'm not familiar with this kind of arrangement, but what keeps the power supplies from trying to regulate each other thus greatly shortening their life?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 09:25:47 pm »

Yes I will take some more pictures soon. The beast is coming together.

I have an atx power supply which is powering the motherboard, floppy, cd rom drive and 3 of the hard drives which are connected as standard to the motherboards ide controllers.

The second power supply is a donated one (Thanks Nightflier!) a converted  AT power supply, which has been installed inside this full tower case, then rewired to provide power to a whole bunch of ide hard drives that will be connected to the 10 port usb hub (which is being installed inside the case as well) I'm honestly not sure how many hard drives it can power, but I have a feeling it could do 10 hard drives, or I hope so.

This "beast" is an experirment in building a linux server on the cheap, and has been built from almost all parts I had around from friends/family upgrades.
When I'm finished, this computer will be the data dump for storing everything in my digital world, and double as my linux box for general stuff also.

Steven

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:36:50 pm »

Well this didn't go as well as I liked... Yesterday, I plugged one drive into the usb port. Vthot came up, and the drive was there.

Today I tried some other drives, nothing happened. All the drives are set to master. Not vlhot, nothing in /mnt/vlhot/usbdrives...

Tried cold reboot, same thing, nothing was there. I tried like 6 hard drives, none of them came up.

Starting over one at a time right now. Anyone have any advice or ideas for what I could try?

I'm beginning to think this was a stupid idea, maybe it would be better to just have a 1tb external usb drive and be done with all these complications.

Seems to me this should work without this much aggravation, but then, nothing computer related is ever aggravation free Smiley

Steven
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:38:42 pm by haywire » Logged
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »

Okay I cried too soon...

Apprarently alot of the hard drives I planned to use are dead, or need re-formatting or something....

4 of 9 hard drives are now connected and working. Can someone tell me how to change the volume ID of the hard drives.
these 4 drives that are working are from an old windows 98 monster computer I had for a long time.
I'd like to change what vl-hot is calling them without reformatting them.

I also got an 8 meg usb thumb drive also connected to the 10 port hub and working... So now I need 5 more hard drives I suppose.

Steven
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »

I'd use DOS's "label" from a 98 bootdisk, unless the actual volume label is important to what you're trying to keep. On any fs, use of tools native to the fs/os is best when possible. If you've forgotten: label /?

Most bootdisks have an OK setting for it, but check LASTDRIVE= in the environment to be sure you can access enough disks, and be careful about which drive you're actually relabeling; there can be a discrepancy between the letter assigned at boot and what fdisk would say the drive is. Just query the label by drive letter first, relabel using the same letter.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:46:17 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »

I think I will just be reformatting the drives after I've had time to sift through whats on them. If I reformat them, I can name them appropriate things, like dos for the dos drive, windows for the windows drive, amiga for the amiga drive, mp3s for the mp3 drive and so on...

Steven
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 05:52:49 am »

The VOLUME ID can be changed using gparted by changing the partition's "LABEL"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: