VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 12:55:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing KDE4 from V6Soho  (Read 3143 times)
guzziken

« on: December 25, 2010, 09:43:21 am »

Purchased V6 Soho and installed. Went fine. Really dislike KDE4. (Same on Mepis)
Is there a way to replace KDE4 with maybe Lxde. Also a later kernel.
I tried V6 KDE-Classic but it would not install on the computer. It also has
an older kernel.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,   Ken
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 10:53:20 am »

Merry Christmas, guzziken.

I don't use KDE (at least don't try to....I think I have some of the programs on my still-pretty-stock VL 6 system).  There are some instructions in this forum for updating the kernel that came with my VL 6.0 system, which I tried and which worked.  I don't recall where, so if you think an updated kernel might fix your problem, you will need to do a search.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 11:08:04 am »

There should be a couple Window Managers installed.

You can open a terminal and type:

xwmconfig

That will allow you to pick another Window Manager.

Bigpaws
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »

You should be able to change session type to xfce, gnome or others when you log on.

If your logged in to kde, logout, change session type and log on again...

Steven
furydragon

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 02:20:20 am »

You can use gslapt for remove KDE4 and install KDE3 or other environment (LXDE, XFCE, Gnome, JWM, OpenBox for example). On a welcome screen choose your preferred session type, input your login information and log into system. If you use autologin, customize prefeffer environment in autologin settings window. More instructions has been given above.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 05:36:22 am »

Do not use gslapt to remove something like KDE. There are too many files and dependencies involved, you will most likely end up with missing pieces.
Murdock

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:11:31 am »

If you installed by partitioning a separate /home, just download 6 Gold that is XFCE based, and install to /
I think once you mess with a "lighter" desktop you'll really enjoy it. If not you can load anything else that trips your trigger.
I'm a firm believer in loading minimal and tweaking up from there.It's far easier than scrapping useless........................CHIT ! Wink

furydragon

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:11:17 pm »

Do not use gslapt to remove something like KDE. There are too many files and dependencies involved, you will most likely end up with missing pieces.

1) Do we discuss a system for stupid users (or a windows like system)? I suppose user should read messages from system and think about it.
2) If gslapt tries delete something critical and not included in KDE you may use slapt-get instead.
3) Slackware based distros packages haven't strong dependencies in package. (For example, latest version of firefox in repository require virtual file system for gnome but correctly work without it.)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 03:01:51 pm »

Simple precautions. As you pointed out with Firefox, some times unintended dependencies find their way into a package. Uninstalling a large block of packages can cascade into removing a lot more than you intended.

True, if you know *all* the packages that are involved, a careful review of the delete list would reveal this kind of error. Such intimate familiarity with your system is normally reserved for advanced users. No one here would consider anyone "stupid" for not possessing that knowledge.

Gslapt is a GUI front end for slapt-get. The safest method is "removepkg", which has no dependency checking.

As pointed out by others, the path of least resistance is to just add the WM or DE of your choice, and make it your default. That way all the features of SOHO will be at your disposal, but not running unless you call for them.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:34:01 pm »

As pointed out by others, the path of least resistance is to just add the WM or DE of your choice, and make it your default. That way all the features of SOHO will be at your disposal, but not running unless you call for them.

That is what I did using happily my favorate fluxbox WM/DE in VL6SOHO. Just doubled my
HD space with a new disk and have therefore plenty of room to move.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 11:38:37 pm »

If you installed by partitioning a separate /home, just download 6 Gold that is XFCE based, and install to /
I think once you mess with a "lighter" desktop you'll really enjoy it. If not you can load anything else that trips your trigger.

I can't agree with you here. VL6 Standard Gold is well over a year old. It doesn't contain newer versions of libraries that are needed for running newer versions of programs. SOHO is much more up to date with a newer kernel and newer and usually better versions of programs like Gimp and Scribus.

VL6 SOHO Deluxe offers XFce as an option at installation and you can use XFce as your desktop environment without ever loading KDE. If you want to use a KDE program, it's there, but if you  don't, you never need to start a KDE program. I have SOHO Deluxe and I never run KDE as my desktop environment, always XFce.

I am enthusiastic about my lovely SOHO Deluxe installations but now mostly use VL7 alpha 4 as a tester. VL7 uses XFce.It has been very stable for me, but of course as an alpha it is incomplete and bugs will show up (which is the purpose of testing).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 11:44:42 pm »

You can use gslapt for remove KDE4 and install KDE3 or other environment (LXDE, XFCE, Gnome, JWM, OpenBox for example).

Gslapt is fine for installing but I categorically recommend that one never use  Gslapt for removing programs. Many people report that removing packages with Gslapt may take out many dependencies needed by other programs. It's far safer to remove unwanted packages with removepkg, which removes just the designated package.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
furydragon

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 10:18:08 am »

Gslapt is fine for installing but I categorically recommend that one never use  Gslapt for removing programs. Many people report that removing packages with Gslapt may take out many dependencies needed by other programs. It's far safer to remove unwanted packages with removepkg, which removes just the designated package.
--GrannyGeek

I'm agree with you. I suppose gslapt wonderful for first step when you search package and its dependencies. After it you can remove corresponding packages manually in console.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: