VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 10:35:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (SOLVED) Gkdial? A Chestnut-dialer alternative?  (Read 3205 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: December 28, 2010, 05:19:49 am »

Just wondering if it could be possible to have another small dial-up dialer besides Chestnut-dialer to use in VL Standard?  I can't seem to get WvDial (and the frontend gui for it, which I think is called something like PyWvDial) to work.  It keeps saying that I have entered a wrong login name (which I know I didn't). 
  Chestnut-dialer works pretty well,...but won't let me on certain websites for some reason.  With KPPP in the KDE Classic,..I have no problem what-so-ever.  But I prefer using VL Standard (and am looking forward to VL7)!  So,...is there any ideas of another little dialer,  maybe like Gkdial,..(for dial-up) to have in the repositories?  Thanks.  (wish I was a programmer).  Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:42:26 pm by nitehawk » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:03:04 am »

Why not just use what everything uses for the backend rp-pppoe?

To setup as root type pppoe-setup and follow the prompts. It will
dial on demand and has all the settings you need. You can monitor
the connection with something like conky or gkrellm.

As far as  not allowing access to some sites. That is more than
likely a DNS issue.

Bigpaws
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:39:51 am »

...thanks!  I'll give that a try. 
EDIT: actually,..now that I think about it,...I believe it was "PPPsetup" that I have used before (for dialup).  It works,...but is a "tad" too basic for what I am looking for.  I'm not a slave to the GUI,...it's just a little nicer and easier to have.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:01:26 pm by nitehawk » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:52:00 pm »

there is a gui in the repo for wvdial may want to give it a shot......called pywvdial
should beable to chase it down with gslapt.

Vec
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:28 am »

Oh, hello there, Vector!
  Yes,...I mentioned in my first post about trying the PyWvdial gui frontend to WvDial.  Just kept giving me the message of (something like) "incorrect login" no matter what I did.  Anyway,...Chestnut-dialer works on most all sites (just Ebay,...which I use a lot).  I have no problems with any other distro (except Slackware and Slackware-based).  It really isn't a "show-stopper" for me, since I like VL Standard so much.  I'll eventually figure out a work-around or something.  Thanks for the helpfull suggestions, though.  (I'll go ahead and mark this as solved, anyhow).  I'll contunue to "google" my little fingers off about what might be a problem on Ebay's end. 
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26:24 am »

Try changing your DNS servers.

Bigpaws
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:37:07 am »

Try changing your DNS servers.

Bigpaws
..yeah, I've tried OpenDNS and Google's DNS,...but get the same thing (Http/1.1 Bad Request) in Ebay,..whether in Firefox, Seamonkey, or Opera.  It's not the fault of VL, I'm certain,...since in VL KDE Classic (with KPPP) there's no problem at all.  Since the problem is only with VL6 Standard+Ebay,...it isn't an earth-shattering thing (just perplexing).  (And I'm not the smartest thing that ever fell off a rock,...)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:48:28 am by nitehawk » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:58:46 am »

Bid Monkey:
     An engine for automated biding on Ebay auctions.

http://pedram.redhive.com/code/bid_monkey/

Eploy:
   A tool that stores the ending prices of Ebay auctions and creates plots and statistical info from them.

http://wareseeker.com/publisher/eploy-team/192988/

hope this helps.

For repository? 
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »

WOOT!!!
Just had a bit of a "break-through"....
I just now was able to directly connect my dial-up from terminal (via "ppp-on").  And Ebay is behaving nicely now!
OK,...I can live with doing dialup like that (when I need Ebay).  Otherwise, Chestnut-dialer will work for all other stuff.   Grin
PS...thanks, bigpaws, for giving me the suggestion about directly using the terminal,.....it worked with Ebay!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:50:50 pm by nitehawk » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: