VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 04:22:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector linux as guest on virtualbox slax remix host  (Read 1857 times)
francois.e

« on: January 07, 2011, 11:09:17 am »

From the live cd, VL6.0-Light-LIVE-Final.iso, I have installed vector linux as guest on virtualbox slax remix host. Oracle virtualbox is ver 3.2.10 r66896.

Whereas on the same host I have achieved to install a mepis guest with the vbox guest additions, I am not able to do so with vector linux installation. In fact, whereas vector linux is running as guest with Device < cd/dvd < vboxguestadditions.iso selected, have no access to the iso at stake.

sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom would not mount the device either.

Kernel-headers are there and I a ready to use the right cli command:sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run or bash VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run. But there is no way for me to find the vboxguest....iso.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:14:53 am by francois.e » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:42 am »

The iso is treated as a cdrom drive if you put the right settings in the virtualbox . I have to mount it first, using
Code:
mount /mnt/cdrom[code]
If the virtual cdrom was not setup properly in the Vector Linux install, you can try finding it with "cd-info", that should tell you where it is. Then you can mount it with [code]mount 'path you just found' /mnt/cdrom
or something like that.

Now you should be able to use
Code:
sh /mnt/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
[/code][/code]

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
francois.e

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:33 pm »

Very good. Its seems that I am not used to find and mount cdrom. Usually it gets mounted automatically. I don't know why, I was looking for a folder. Here is what I have done.

root:# cd-info
cd-info version 0.79 i486-slackware-linux-gnu
Copyright (c) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 R. Bernstein
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
CD location   : /dev/cdrom
CD driver name: GNU/Linux
   access mode: ioctl

System     : Win32
Volume     : VBOXADDITIONS_3.2.10_66896
Volume Set :
vector://home/vl
root:# root:# mkdir /mnt/cdrom0
vector://home/vl
root:# mount /dev/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only

Then once in the /mnt/cdrom0 folder, I was able to install guest additions using:
root:# sh /mnt/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

If I may ask another question. I would like to know how I can increase the size of the display, so that it fits completely my screen. When I do enter full screen mode, it will enter full screen mode exept that the desktop will occupy only half of the surface of the display.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:22:39 pm by francois.e » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: