VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 11:02:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: HowTo: Configure your Wireless Network  (Read 70419 times)
martinwprior

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 09:33:46 pm »

When I read the Howto. I was pleased to note that your USB stick is the same as I have, so I thought install would be pretty easy using the zd1211b driver. Not so.

Using the installed ndiswrapper did not work. So I downloaded the latest version and everything worked OK.

Which method did you use to install the SMC USB stick?

I am using VL5.8

Regards

Martin Prior
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:28 pm »

Hi martin,

At the time this howto was written, the zd1211b module still used to be included in the kernel. But it was later removed by the kernel developers because of problems with the code in the driver.

I'm currently using ndiswrapper with my card and it works ok. I used the windows XP driver provided in the installation CD from SMC.
If you are still having trouble, please open another thread in the Hardware or Networking section of the forum, and we can help you out  Wink

martinwprior

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 05:57:26 am »

I got it working with the latest ndiswrapper, without problem. Under recently installed 5.9 I used the installed ndiswrapper with no problem.

My problem was searching for a driver that had been removed. I was hoping to use the linux driver, but the Windows one works fine. Thanks to the guys at ndiswrapper.

Regards

Martin
trippfan

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 06:44:52 am »

ok i followed allthe instrustions and it can find my mac address but it will not pull up an ip address. i  have tried everything i can think of also but am getting nowhere. Can someone help me. I am running Vector Linux 5.8.
mithion

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 02:28:51 pm »

I would like to know how to start the connection automatically at boot.  Using wifi-radar requires root privileges but I have other users using my computer who need internet access I do not wish to give them the root password.  How do I do that?
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 04:59:20 am »

mithion,

You can add the commands needed to connect to your network to the en of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

mithion

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 01:47:58 pm »

Thanks for the pointers easuter.  I feel kinda retarded.  I just learned that wifi-radar can be run in daemon mode as a background application.  It is simply a matter of adding the following command

Code:
wifi-radar -d

in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.  Et voila, a working internet connection at boot.  I'm so happy Smiley) !!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »

Bah! didn't remember that one either! Glad you got it sorted out. Smiley
However, using the wifi-radar daemon on a laptop might not be a very good idea if you are concerned about battery life, since it polls for new networks every 5 seconds (by default) and generates a bit of overhead (especially on old machines...).

LeeDB

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 06:07:04 pm »

With 5.9 Std Final, I found with two different computers that even when the wireless device is supported out of the box, I still had to start Wifi-Radar, select Preferences, and check the box that says Ifup Required (and also check auto-detect if it was not already checked).  Alternatively, the command-line savy person can use commands to start the interface.  Once that is done, if your hardware is already supported, you should see wireless networks (yours at a minimum) in Wifi-Radar.  From there you can set up any required encryption, etc. to get connected. 

Not knowing the Ifup checkbox trick in Wifi-Radar, when wireless didn't work after the first boot following installation, I ended up going thru several steps in the HowTo that I really didn't need to do.  5.9 appears to support quite a lot of drivers out of the box, so this is a heads-up that your interface may be supported right out of the gate, and it's only a few check boxes away to verify that it works.

After re-booting, everything entered via Wifi-Radar is saved (WEP key, etc.), but you still have to start Wifi-radar and click "connect" to re-connect to your wireless network.  Here are some ways to get around that.

a) if you are using WEP, edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the following at the end:
  iwconfig eth0 essid yourssid key yourWEPkey
  dhcpcd eth0
(substitute eth1, eth2, or whatever applies to your connection for eth0 above)

I did the above on the desktop since it will always connect to my home wireless network.

On the laptop, I got a little fancier - a shell script with the following lines:
  #!/bin/bash
  sudo /sbin/iwconfig ath0 essid myssid key myWEPkey
  sudo /sbin/dhcpdc ath0
(substitute ath0 with eth0, eth1, etc. as applicable and use your ssid and WEP key as needed)

Then I created a desktop file that executes the script.  The key line in the desktop file is as follows:
  Exec=/home/username/location/shell-script.sh

In order to first test the script, I executed it with ./shell-script.sh at the command line.  I'm a relative newbie to Linux, and I don't quite understand why the dot-slash is needed to execute it at the command line but not in the launcher.  Now when the laptop first boots, I have a desktop icon that I just double-click in order to connect to the network.  The idea is to create more scripts for other networks I connect to, so that I can choose depending on where I am when I fire up the laptop.  Besides, it's cool to double-click the icon and see the light on the network card come on immediately.   Smiley

Here are some other 5.9 observations relative to the HowTo on wireless setup.  Both my desktop and laptop are using wireless devices that worked right out of the box (after enabling them in WiFi-Radar via the Ifup checkbox)

1) Editing /etc/modprobe.conf to add alias statements/commands appeared to have no effect.
     Both laptop and desktop work fine with only the original alias statement for the unused
     wired ethernet port.
2)  I am relatively certain that editing /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf had no effect, either.  My memory is
     fuzzier on this, but I believe that everything worked fine with the original INTERFACES="eth0"
     statement even when the wireless card in the desktop initially came up as eth1 and was detected
     as such by Wifi-Radar.
3) There was no existing /etc/udev/rules.d/network-devices.rules file in 5.9, but it was easy to create.
     The eth0/eth1 swapping issue that I read that people had issues with in 5.8 happened to me in 5.9
     on the desktop.  I locked the wireless interface to eth0 using this file.  (the laptop came up using
     ath0 for wireless evidently due to the atheros? chip on the D-Link PCMCIA card)  I put the statement
     in network-devices.rules for associating ath0 with the MAC address of the card, but everything was
     fine without it.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 06:41:21 pm »

LeeDB,

Have you tried VLwifi instead of Wifi-Radar? I used to have some difficulty getting my WPA wireless going, but with VLwifi it's an absolute piece of cake. In RC3 I had to add something to a file in /etc (don't remember the details), but in 5.9 Standard Gold I set it up once with VLwifi and it has started automatically along with XFce ever since.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
LeeDB

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 07:15:28 pm »

Hi GrannyGeek,

When I tried VLWiFi on the desktop box, it detected a device and prompted me for some information, but I couldn't get it to connect.  Then I went on to use WiFi-Radar and edit rc.local, etc.  On my laptop, I initially used the same process with Wifi Radar, but later I was playing around and tried VLwifi, and it worked.  I salvaged a larger hard drive for the old laptop, so I think I may install VL 5.9 from scratch on it and go directly to VLwifi and see how it goes.

Thanks.
Lee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 07:57:16 pm »

I found that I did have to add a line to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3:
modprobe ndiswrapper

Now my wireless is ready to use as soon as XFce starts.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
topgrey

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 11:38:14 am »

Folks, I'd like to just say THANKS for the most comprehensive help forum for any Linux distro ever.  30 minutes with this particular subject and my wireless is up.  Never got it running in less than 4 days with other distros.  Thanks again for everything.
maurolust

The glass has a 3dB margin

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 08:40:13 pm »

ndiswrapper did'nt work for me  Sad

I searched around the web and it seems like I'm not the only dell owner with this problem. My board is a BCM4306, and although I did get to install bcmwl5 it did not detect hardware. Is it recommendable to buy a new wlan card? I would hate to do that, maybe not as much as I would hate to compile a module for it (actually, I don't even know what this means).

Great How-to, though. I think I've learnt a lot.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 08:55:23 pm »

ndiswrapper did'nt work for me  Sad

I searched around the web and it seems like I'm not the only dell owner with this problem. My board is a BCM4306, and although I did get to install bcmwl5 it did not detect hardware. Is it recommendable to buy a new wlan card? I would hate to do that, maybe not as much as I would hate to compile a module for it (actually, I don't even know what this means).

Great How-to, though. I think I've learnt a lot.
there are a lot of different BCM cards out there.
I have one that i have to use an alternate bcmwl5.inf with(the ones that came with the card dont work with ndiswrapper)
you can get it here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/bcmwl5-1.tar.lzma
extract it to /etc/ndiswrapper
then run "ndiswrapper -l" to see if it works with your card
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: