VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 08:33:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Fixed] Messed up my LiLo menu screen  (Read 2743 times)
Pet3M0ss

« on: January 16, 2011, 06:19:53 am »

Am using a newly purchased VL 6. Had some issues installing to a laptop (the touchpad was too sensitive??), so I used the alternative text-based method.

I ended up with a VL LiLo menu screen, but it just says "linux" instead of Vector Linux. Thinking I could improve on that, I used the VASM to reload LiLo. Now, I have a Slackware boot menu!!

Could someone give me a path where I could reset LiLo. I would like it to proclaim Vector Linux as a choice as well as my WinXP partition.

Maybe I should just install GRUB and be done with it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:44:50 pm by Pet3M0ss » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:43:54 am »

I'm remembering two lilo config utilities. One called liloconf which set's up lilo the slackware way, the other called vliloconf, which of course does it the Vectorway.  Try running vliloconf as root and let us know where that takes you.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46:44 pm »

Thanks stretchedthin, the vliloconf command reset the boot menu to the one I had after a text install (choices are "linux,Win, linux-tui, and linux-gui").

I went in to /etc/lilo.conf and tried changing the "linux" to "Vector Linux" but nothing changed upon reboot. Any idea where I could change the text and dress up the menu properly??
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:52:42 pm »

Thanks stretchedthin, the vliloconf command reset the boot menu to the one I had after a text install (choices are "linux,Win, linux-tui, and linux-gui").

I went in to /etc/lilo.conf and tried changing the "linux" to "Vector Linux" but nothing changed upon reboot. Any idea where I could change the text and dress up the menu properly??

Did you run
lilo
as root as a prompt after you made changes to /etc/liloconf? I'm also assuming you edited liloconf as root.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:28:40 pm »

You'll need to chose labels without any spaces ('VectorLinux' or 'Vector_Linux' are good; 'Vector Linux' is not).  When you change a 'label' for the primary boot option, you'll need to make sure your 'default' choice (towards the top of lilo.conf) matches.  Last, as granny mentioned, you'll need to edit lilo.conf as root and run 'lilo -v' when you're done making the changes (also as root). If the output from the command 'lilo -v' reports any errors then you should not reboot until those are fixed - warnings are (almost always) okay.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »

In addition to the -v flag add the -t flag for test. lilo -t -v. Then when test is OK
run lilo w/o -t. I sometime forget this. Wink
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:07:40 am »

OK, my Vector Linux label attempt caused the lilo -t -v command to show something like "extraneous Linux", so your suggestions were on target (both how to find and how to correct).

Now it looks real nice at boot, but lilo then loads into a text-based VL sign in!! The Slackware keeps reclaiming it's old territory.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:01:12 am »

To get GUI login (runlevel 4), you can add a "4" to the options. Here is a sample section for /etc/lilo.conf:
Code:
# Partition 2: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda1
    label = linux-gui
    append = "4  "
    read-only

Of course, make sure that the root path is correct for your system.
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 07:43:59 pm »

Thanks all, I've got it together ('til next time!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: