VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 08:44:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: xfce 4.8-well someone had to ask  (Read 9575 times)
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 01:53:10 pm »

VL 6.2 (calling SOHO's base 6.1) would buy more time to get 7 ready.

With the extent of updated packages that SOHO has, I do think things would be better marked if SOHO were called "6.1" instead of "6.0".

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 02:24:40 pm »

I am happily writing this on VL7 core Alpha 4.16, with xfce-4.8... Grin

I have the build system for almost all the missing/updated deps and xfce apps correctly set up for VL, in the end, I was in a bit of a hurry, so I used the rworkman scripts for the xfce-4.8 core packages. Also, a couple of late-showing dependencies were done with slackbuild.org scripts. All those should not take long to repackage in the VL style and I hope to be able to upload at least the whole build tree (sans source tarballs) on Monday. with a little luck, I might upload the packages themselves, but it will take longer at my connection speeds.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »

@Joe1962,
Nicely done.
Since your the first to have a look at it, what do you think of xfce-4.8?

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »

I am not sure what I am recommending.  My concern is that some folks who I turned on to VL standard several years ago, folks who have used VL for a long time, tell me they are moving to Mint largely, they say, because they don't think VL standard is being kept up to date. Something like that.  One particular complaint they have has to do with updating Firefox on VL 6, a task, I gather, easier to accomplish on Mint.  I have no intention of switching.  Just concerned. 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »

I am not sure what I am recommending.  My concern is that some folks who I turned on to VL standard several years ago, folks who have used VL for a long time, tell me they are moving to Mint largely, they say, because they don't think VL standard is being kept up to date. Something like that.  One particular complaint they have has to do with updating Firefox on VL 6, a task, I gather, easier to accomplish on Mint.  I have no intention of switching.  Just concerned. 

Firefox is always updated promptly for VL6. I'm running the latest version right now on my VL6 Light. It goes in /testing, of course, until it has gotten enough positive feedback to make it into the other repos. But from /testing it's just a matter of marking the Firefox version and any language files desired and then clicking on Execute. How could Mint accomplish that more easily???

Perhaps it might be better to educate them than to merely listen to their unwarranted concerns, at least where Firefox is concerned. I certainly would not use a distro that went months before updating browser packages. That's not the case with VectorLinux, but you need to look in /testing for the most recent packages.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
davidlondonuk

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 02:56:44 am »

Thanks for all the replies. I have been used to distros that update software like xfce4 quickly. However, I think the vector way is better, I will wait for VL7 Std release.

My main reason for migrating to VL was stability so I can't have my cake and eat it-with VL there is only a minimal amount of tinkering that can be done, which is why it's so stable.

It's better to let the dev team get VL7 ready in peace and it comes out when it does. Hopefully with xfce 4.8.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:44 am »

I'm playing around on Xfce 4.8.0 now.  I would say there are still some bugs to be worked out.
A question for Joe1962, (since you also have xfce 4.8.0)

-If you have other partitions on your hard-drive. Do they show up on your desktop, but are unmountable?
-Also, if you have a flash drive with a bash script on it...is it possible for you to set the permissions (using thunar) for the script to be executable?  I seem to be prevented from doing so.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:11 am »

So far it seems to be a nice evolutionary step forward, but seriously... still no single-click on the desktop icons... Huh

I have only been working on it for a day or so, mainly in Terminal while trying to set up the building of KDE-4.5.5 and the whole bunch of deps... Shocked

The main issues right now are getting it to work with tuxonice (still haven't managed it) and Mousepad sometimes taking over 10 seconds to close (still haven't figured this out). Regarding the drives/partitions questions, the HDD partitions don't show up on my desktop, maybe because they are all mounted in fstab. The CDs, DVDs and USB drives do show up and mount there, but I had a problem where mounting failed for normal users. This last issue may (or may not) have been related to the KDE-4.5.5 stuff (qt-policykit). I mostly fixed it by figuring out that policykit was the culprit, then finding what to edit: /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy
, where you need to find and change "no" to "yes" in: <allow_any>no</allow_any> for:
Code:
<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount">
Code:
<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject">
and maybe in:
Code:
<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-unmount-others">

Now the only problem is with NTFS USB drives, which mount read-only... still working on that one... Roll Eyes

Oh, and it is sometimes hard to figure out which panel items have been obsoleted by 4.8 and which that aren't will work on it.

EDIT: Note: I really think one needs to disable hal and read up on udisks, upower and policykit to figure it out properly.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:58:52 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 08:33:34 am »

Perhaps it might be better to educate them than to merely listen to their unwarranted concerns, at least where Firefox is concerned. (Grannygeek)

I agree.  Part of my problem is that, not being familiar with mint, I often don't understand their complaint and am reluctant to tell them that they don't know what they are talking about, as they well might.  I do whatever in VL6, generally just fine. 

Another, perhaps more common complaint has to do with updating Flash.  Apparently that can be done in Mint by clicking on a button, while in VL I know I have to download the flash and then copy the new libflashplayer.so
to, if I recall correctly, the mozilla plugin section of /usr/lib.  No big deal for me, but apparently difficult for some.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 09:14:17 am »

FWIW, it is proving to be very stable and makes going back to xfce after a long sojourn in KDE4 with VL6SOHO just like coming home... Grin

I see there are some updates to parts of xfce going towards 4.8.1 and also to thunar. I am downloading the updates and some build stuff fixes from rworkmans build site as we speak (err... key).

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »

Another, perhaps more common complaint has to do with updating Flash.  Apparently that can be done in Mint by clicking on a button, while in VL I know I have to download the flash and then copy the new libflashplayer.so
to, if I recall correctly, the mozilla plugin section of /usr/lib.  No big deal for me, but apparently difficult for some.

It's sure not intuitive and many users (myself included) would need to be told how to do it, but once you've done it, it's totally easy. I can understand the complaint, though.

I actually prefer not having a button to click on for everything I want to do because I get a chance to learn how the system works. Clicking on a button doesn't teach anything but how to click on a button.

I wonder how many potential VL users feel the same way. Ease of use is a good thing and VL has made great strides in the last few years, but we still don't conceal the guts of the system from the user. I see that as a plus. Now we just need to find users who also want to learn LINUX while enjoying an easy-to-use distro.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 11:57:49 pm »

I wonder how many potential VL users feel the same way. Ease of use is a good thing and VL has made great strides in the last few years, but we still don't conceal the guts of the system from the user. I see that as a plus. Now we just need to find users who also want to learn LINUX while enjoying an easy-to-use distro.<g>
--GrannyGeek

This sub-topic between Granny and sledge has some important considerations. I move that the conversation on firefox/flash/related updating be copy/quoted to a new thread for further discussion. This seems too important to get lost among xfce stuff.

pierce.jason
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:11:52 am by pierce.jason » Logged

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:50 pm »

I've tried all the consolekit/polkit fixes around the gentoo, archlinux and linuxquestions (slackware specific) forums and I still can't get suspend and hibernate on xfce-4.8. I can suspend manually with echo "mem" > /sys/power/state (as root), however... Angry

Plug-in drives or memories mount ok now, except I haven't had a chance to look at fixing the ntfs mounting, which is read-only. I lost track of where I found the file to edit a couple of days ago... Roll Eyes

I also get a weird delay sometimes in mousepad and thunar, where scrolling pauses as soon as I release the keyboard, but the last line will scroll a few seconds later... Shocked  It also happens in Terminal and also mc inside Terminal, but even weirder, as then the outputs of commands (ls, for example) will not show up for until a few seconds later, or immediately I press a key... Huh

Oh, nearly forgot, mousepad sometimes takes a looooong time to close even 15 seconds, no kidding!!! I switched to leafpad for quick and dirty editing... Grin

I found that partitions in /etc/fstab are not handled by xfce/thunar, but I have one of those manufacturer-installed HP_TOOLS partitions which I never removed (strange, as I normally do so) and it was on the desktop. Hiding it is a matter of editing /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules and adding it to:
Code:
# recovery partitions (taken from old hal rules)
ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs|vfat", \
  ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="RECOVERY|HP_RECOVERY|HP_TOOLS|Recovery Partition|DellUtility|DellRestore|IBM_SERVICE|SERVICEV001|SERVICEV002", \
  ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: