VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:19:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: opera 11 displays white screen instead of web sites [solved]  (Read 4361 times)
davidlondonuk

« on: January 22, 2011, 02:21:30 am »

Hi,

I removed opera 10.11 using gslapt and installed opera 11 (from the opera website) using the install script with /usr as the install prefix. I didn't like the layout of opera 11 so removed it using /usr/bin/uninstall-opera.

Reinstalled 10.11 using gslapt but now all the sites I visit show only a white blank screen. I used bleachbit to clear out the cache etc, still same problem. Reinstalled again using gslapt, same problem.

Any ideas what the problem is-I am using VL6 Std Gold.

Thanks for any help.

Solution: A pain in the bottom but just deleted the /home/me/.opera directory and restarted opera and it now works ok again but alas that deletes all your bookmarks and prefs etc

Update: Yep forgot to backup the .opera directory. However, re-installed opera 11.01 + fanboy's urlfilter.ini for ad-blocking & fanboy-adblocklist-elements.css for layout and all is well. After I worked out how to get the menu bar back (alt-F11) Opera 11.01 is a genuine improvement over v10.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:49:25 pm by davidlondonuk » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:44:26 am »

I had the same problem about three weeks ago. The problem for me was related to urlfilter.ini and a UID that had been incorporated into that file. I simply removed this file completely and restarted opera, which solved the problem. I then manually added back the urlfilter contents minus the UID.  Probably too late for your purposes but thought I'd post this in case someone else runs into a similar situation.
davidlondonuk

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:09 am »

Thanks Newt, I still had the old .opera dir in the trash bin so restored it and fixed the uuid line in urlfilter.ini under [include].
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »

My very strong advice:

Any time you are installing an update of a third-party program that has directories in your /home directory, FIRST rename your old /.opera or whatever to /.opera_old. Then you'll get a clean installation of whatever you're updating. Not only have you saved what you need if for some reason you go back to the old version, but you can copy your old preferences, bookmarks, contacts, etc., etc. to the new directory and not lose anything.

I've been doing that for years and it has always worked well.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: