VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 12:55:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Office Software: Softmaker  (Read 2702 times)
randymon

« on: January 24, 2011, 07:56:45 am »

Just in case anyone else is wondering how to get OpenOffice/Libreoffice to run on an old box, I would highly recommend instead Softmaker Office to anyone willing to pay for the software.  I've used it for years, and it's top notch on my Vector box (PIII Coppermine, 128MB RAM).  I picked up Vector to try to breathe some life into this old box, and Softmaker Office is the final touch - it gives me compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007 document formats (.docx etc.), loads fast and doesn't require too much memory.  I'm pleased with it.

The fun thing is now I am every bit as productive on this 10 year old laptop as I am on my fancy new Windows box.  Same boot time (actually the PIII is faster), and all the software I need.  Way to go Vector.  Steve Ballmer, you're a sucker.

PIII 555 Mhz, 128M RAM and Vector flies!
Pet3M0ss

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:07:20 pm »

There was a limited time to use Softmaker for free, and I installed it (while it lasted). Though I knew it was not free, I was impressed they were including Linux in their plans

A very good office suite, worked without incident on my Slackware box. If a person divided the cost (I think you are licensed for 3 machines), it was certainly more reasonable than buying Microsoft. Did not use the presentation part of the software, so my experience did not include the entire suite.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:28:29 am »

I agree with randymon.  I paid for Softmaker years ago and updates since then are free.  It is a lot faster than Open Office 3.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

SoftMaker Office 2008 and free registration key is still available

http://www.softmaker.de/lh-down-en.htm

choose Linux

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:59:27 pm »

I paid for Softmaker years ago and updates since then are free.  It is a lot faster than Open Office 3.

Unless you got some unusual grandfather arrangement, version updates are definitely not free. You do get a reduced price. Updates within a version are free but not an update from SoftMaker Office 8 to SoftMaker Office 10.

I've been using paid-for SoftMaker Office since it was just TextMaker back in the days when I was using mostly Windows and I've bought every version since then. I can show you the receipts.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »

Perhaps Granny is right.  I too have been using softmaker for years.  I last paid $35 on July 14, 2009 for
1    ofl08cu    Upgrade auf SoftMaker Office 2008 für Linux

But when softmaker 2010 came out in April of 2010, I got the following message from softmaker:

As a purchaser of SoftMaker Office 2008 for Linux, you are entitled to a free upgrade to SoftMaker Office 2010 for Linux. This e-mail gives you the download address and your personal serial number.

Perhaps I have been paying $35 every other year or so.  I don't recall. I know its cheap and quite a lot faster than open office 3.  Some stuff requires open office, best I can tell, so I use both on occasion....in those relatively rare instances when I can't get it done on google docs.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: